Nervous about DAT retake????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentgrl2984

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.35 GPA, already graduated with a BS in Biomedical Science, I took the DAT and got a TS/AA 17 and my PAT section was below 16...so I know a retake is a must. I have been an orthodontic asst for 4 years, did a 1 year dental assisting program, have a ridiculous amount of volunteer and shadowing hours, and I'm 27 years old.

First question: I can retake the DAT in december, BUT should I take it then or should I just wait since most classes have pretty much been filled, so I have heard...OR take it, since I have emailed all schools and most have said to email them my scores as soon as i finish the test.....does this mean they r still looking at me but would like an improvement in the DAT????

Second question: All I think about is re-taking the DAT, I get so nervous when I think about it. Even though I feel much more prepared this time, I am so afraid of doing poorly again....EVERYTHING is riding on me doing really well on it.....any words of advice???? :confused:

Thank you! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.35 GPA, already graduated with a BS in Biomedical Science, I took the DAT and got a TS/AA 17 and my PAT section was below 16...so I know a retake is a must. I have been an orthodontic asst for 4 years, did a 1 year dental assisting program, have a ridiculous amount of volunteer and shadowing hours, and I'm 27 years old.

First question: I can retake the DAT in december, BUT should I take it then or should I just wait since most classes have pretty much been filled, so I have heard...OR take it, since I have emailed all schools and most have said to email them my scores as soon as i finish the test.....does this mean they r still looking at me but would like an improvement in the DAT????

Second question: All I think about is re-taking the DAT, I get so nervous when I think about it. Even though I feel much more prepared this time, I am so afraid of doing poorly again....EVERYTHING is riding on me doing really well on it.....any words of advice???? :confused:

Thank you! :D

First question - Dont rush to retake. Most schools will not consider a DAT score for 2012 admission after November. Hence whether you take it Dec 2011 or May 2012, you cannot use that score for 2012 admissions. You will have to reapply next year.

Second question: Focus on your mistakes. Use the DAT section of the forum and try to understand why you made your mistakes and where you failed in your studies. Did you use Crack DAT PAT, Dat Destroyer, Math Destroyer? Did you study the old DAT exams (2007 and 2009) did you study for long periods of time or did you slack off? Did you use CHad's videos?

If you answered No to the above questions, then that could be a problem right there. Half the battle is studying with the right materials and the other half is studying for a long period of time. Most people study anywhere between 1.5 to 3 months for this exam. I say you should refocus your efforts after January to study and do well. Then apply for 2013. Your TS/AA/PAT scores are not competitive enough to apply (unless you already did or unless you are a URM.)

Best of luck to you.

There maybe another issue you could be overlooking. It sounds like you didn't do a post-bac meaning you're about 5 years removed from an academic setting. Many schools won't allow pre-reqs that are more than 3 years old. This is because they want to make sure you still have the academic ability to hit the ground running in dschool. I would contact the schools and inquire about this potential issue first.

Members don't see this ad :)
There maybe another issue you could be overlooking. It sounds like you didn't do a post-bac meaning you're about 5 years removed from an academic setting. Many schools won't allow pre-reqs that are more than 3 years old. This is because they want to make sure you still have the academic ability to hit the ground running in dschool. I would contact the schools and inquire about this potential issue first.
I just graduated in May 2011...I began college in 2002, screwed around, withdrew in 2006, did the dental assisting program, worked for about 2 years and then went back to college in 2009 to complete my BS and my grade trend improved alot. My last 2 yrs have consisted of only the sciences,

Last edited:
First question - Dont rush to retake. Most schools will not consider a DAT score for 2012 admission after November. Hence whether you take it Dec 2011 or May 2012, you cannot use that score for 2012 admissions. You will have to reapply next year.

Second question: Focus on your mistakes. Use the DAT section of the forum and try to understand why you made your mistakes and where you failed in your studies. Did you use Crack DAT PAT, Dat Destroyer, Math Destroyer? Did you study the old DAT exams (2007 and 2009) did you study for long periods of time or did you slack off? Did you use CHad's videos?

If you answered No to the above questions, then that could be a problem right there. Half the battle is studying with the right materials and the other half is studying for a long period of time. Most people study anywhere between 1.5 to 3 months for this exam. I say you should refocus your efforts after January to study and do well. Then apply for 2013. Your TS/AA/PAT scores are not competitive enough to apply (unless you already did or unless you are a URM.)

Best of luck to you.
What does it mean then if the schools I emailed about retaking it in december, have replied to me saying just email them the new scores once I have taken it??? I am taking it as they may still look at me with the new scores, but I dunno. I have received 2 rejections back in September and they knew I was retaking it.

This time around studying I am using Chad's videos in addition to already having the KBB, Destroyer and Crack the DAT software. The first time I applied I studied for about 1.5 months since I wasnt taking classes and this time I have been studying since October.

What does it mean then if the schools I emailed about retaking it in december, have replied to me saying just email them the new scores once I have taken it??? I am taking it as they may still look at me with the new scores, but I dunno. I have received 2 rejections back in September and they knew I was retaking it.

This time around studying I am using Chad's videos in addition to already having the KBB, Destroyer and Crack the DAT software. The first time I applied I studied for about 1.5 months since I wasnt taking classes and this time I have been studying since October.

KBB is a waste of time. dont use it! Buy Achiever and Topscore to gauge your score and really master the Destroyer. The GC section was spot on. Also use Barrons AP Bio for Bio that book was really helpful, if you know it cover to cover you can guarantee yourself at least a 20.

If the schools allowed you to do that, then its fine. I know most schools list on their pages that DAT scores after November are not acceptable (i dunno if this applies to first time DAT scores or retakes.)

How long have you been studying?
If I were you, I would retake on the Dec because you already applied, (paid money). If you take the test later than Dec, you are losing all the money you paid. If you don't get in this year, you can just use the new score the next year and spend time to improve another part of application, like GPA or extra-curriculum.

When you are studying, it's important to master what you went over. I made a wrong answer note, go over what i missed on the destroyer.

The cliff AP bio is also good book to study for bio. Good Luck

How long have you been studying?
If I were you, I would retake on the Dec because you already applied, (paid money). If you take the test later than Dec, you are losing all the money you paid. If you don't get in this year, you can just use the new score the next year and spend time to improve another part of application, like GPA or extra-curriculum.

When you are studying, it's important to master what you went over. I made a wrong answer note, go over what i missed on the destroyer.

The cliff AP bio is also good book to study for bio. Good Luck
I have been studying since beginning of October, mainly spending ALL day fri-sun since I work mon- thurs 645am-5pm, Ill try to read some stuff on the days I work but its hard to maintain what I learned after a long day at the office. I am pretty sure I will re-take in December since I have been studying and at least then its over hopefully dont have to retake again since I have bad nerves ....lol....I may want to take some classes next year, I cant afford to do a masters....so I would want to be done with this DAT :)

Thank you for the advice!

I have been studying since beginning of October, mainly spending ALL day fri-sun since I work mon- thurs 645am-5pm, Ill try to read some stuff on the days I work but its hard to maintain what I learned after a long day at the office. I am pretty sure I will re-take in December since I have been studying and at least then its over hopefully dont have to retake again since I have bad nerves ....lol....I may want to take some classes next year, I cant afford to do a masters....so I would want to be done with this DAT :)

Thank you for the advice!

just make sure schools will review this DAT score or you might end up wasting your time and reapplying for 2013.

just make sure schools will review this DAT score or you might end up wasting your time and reapplying for 2013.
There are at least 5 schools that have a later deadline that I have applied to and have told me to just email then when I am done with taking the test. Either way I am figuring the test will be done and hopefully I will not have to take a 3rd time, that would suck! Since I have already invested so much time into studying, I dont want to be "over-prepared" and screw up if I wait.

I have pretty much accepted the fact that I will be reapplying in 2013....not sure what I else I can do to better by chances except for retaking the DAT, maybe taking another look at my personal statement and apply June 1st, not august!

Thanks for the support!

Your history is going to play a major role in your application process, be prepared to answer some tough questions if you do receive an interview. Also, if the DAT is requiring this much time for you to get above a 17, the rigorous curriculum of dental school is going to hit you like a ton of bricks. Best of luck with the re-take, just be prepared for the future.

Your history is going to play a major role in your application process, be prepared to answer some tough questions if you do receive an interview. Also, if the DAT is requiring this much time for you to get above a 17, the rigorous curriculum of dental school is going to hit you like a ton of bricks. Best of luck with the re-take, just be prepared for the future.
To be honest, the first time I took the DAT I only studied for about a month, didnt do much practice tests, was in two weddings during the time I was studying, and the day before I got a cold. It was not the greatest experience and I have learned from it, sucks that it had to be this way. I am not worried about the dental school curriculum....these last 2 years have been very hectic for me....i work 645am-5pm mon-thurs as an ortho assistant, while working I left to go to class or take an exam and then came back to work, then went to night class, still volunteered in the community, taking a full course load of all sciences and keeping my positive grade trend positive. Alot of my fellow students couldnt believe all i did and still managed to get a 4.0 during those last 2 yrs and Im still sane! I am pretty sure I can handle, especially since I will not be working while dental school.

Best of luck to you as well!

There are at least 5 schools that have a later deadline that I have applied to and have told me to just email then when I am done with taking the test. Either way I am figuring the test will be done and hopefully I will not have to take a 3rd time, that would suck! Since I have already invested so much time into studying, I dont want to be "over-prepared" and screw up if I wait.

I have pretty much accepted the fact that I will be reapplying in 2013....not sure what I else I can do to better by chances except for retaking the DAT, maybe taking another look at my personal statement and apply June 1st, not august!

Thanks for the support!

All im saying is just make sure you take the DAT when your ready. Dont rush it for the 2012 cycle when your chances are smaller. Take your time and kill the DAT, even if that means waiting till the 2013. Thats really what I meant, that you should take it when your nearly ready (because you'll never feel 100% ready.)

Most schools have made there decisions by December...I don't see how retaking will help you as much this round as it will the next?