Net Worth at age 55

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much do you anticipate your net worth will be by age 55?

• Less than 2 million

Votes: 19 6.7%
  • 2-4 million

Votes: 64 22.6%
  • 4-6 million

Votes: 77 27.2%
  • 6-8 million

Votes: 54 19.1%
  • 8-10 million

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • More than 10 million

Votes: 48 17.0%

• Total voters
The non fix budge is kids.

They get more expensive each year.

I put $1500 into 529 account each month on top of their monthly expenses. They cost me $3000-3500 each month (after school activities is like $1000 a month.

How much would you be saving if you had no kids or mortgage right now and were renting. I am in this position at least for the next 12 mo but that will quickly change and feel i need to make it count until that happens to build cushion.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How much would you be saving if you had no kids or mortgage right now and were renting. I am in this position at least for the next 12 mo but that will quickly change and feel i need to make it count until that happens to build cushion.
My home doesn’t cost me much relative to its cost. 2.2-2.4 million dollar plus home for $4500/mo (that includes everything mortgage hoa insuring property taxes ).

Even if I owned house free and clear it would still cost me $1500-1800 a month with taxes and hoa and insurance.

As for kids. There are costs associated such as lost opportunity costs of making more money. Meaning i don’t want to do extra calls or work for the kids.

If I were single. I’d likely be making more due to always extra work in the area to do. Those are costs a lot of people can’t put a number on. So not only do kids cost money. They make u lose money due to lost opportunity costs.

The hard value the kids cost me is $3000 a month. That’s before vacation.

Vacation means extra plane tickets. Maybe extra hotel room
Or extra cruise ship state room

Everything add up.

Car insurance is high as well with kids driving.

Reactions: 1 users
My home doesn’t cost me much relative to its cost. 2.2-2.4 million dollar plus home for $4500/mo (that includes everything mortgage hoa insuring property taxes ).

Even if I owned house free and clear it would still cost me $1500-1800 a month with taxes and hoa and insurance.

As for kids. There are costs associated such as lost opportunity costs of making more money. Meaning i don’t want to do extra calls or work for the kids.

If I were single. I’d likely be making more due to always extra work in the area to do. Those are costs a lot of people can’t put a number on. So not only do kids cost money. They make u lose money due to lost opportunity costs.

The hard value the kids cost me is $3000 a month. That’s before vacation.

Vacation means extra plane tickets. Maybe extra hotel room
Or extra cruise ship state room

Everything add up.

Car insurance is high as well with kids driving.

Thanks. I was talking to a colleague who told me that i should be doing my best to save 40% of gross if i have no kids and only renting right now while its actually doable and i would regret it later. Wasn't sure if that was a bit extreme.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I was talking to a colleague who told me that i should be doing my best to save 40% of gross if i have no kids and only renting right now while its actually doable and i would regret it later. Wasn't sure if that was a bit extreme.

40% gross is a lot. But if you're single, then it is doable.

Regarding renting vs buying.

The main hurdle is the down payment.

Other variables are how committed are you to your current location? If you could potentially move, renting will work out better due to the cost associated with selling a house.

I'm 100% set on my current location due to family etc. I bought, with help from parents. Since I bought 7 years ago, my monthly costs have decreased due to the ability to refinance my mortgage twice. Meanwhile, rental costs are trending up in the area.

40% gross is a lot. But if you're single, then it is doable.

Regarding renting vs buying.

The main hurdle is the down payment.

Other variables are how committed are you to your current location? If you could potentially move, renting will work out better due to the cost associated with selling a house.

I'm 100% set on my current location due to family etc. I bought, with help from parents. Since I bought 7 years ago, my monthly costs have decreased due to the ability to refinance my mortgage twice. Meanwhile, rental costs are trending up in the area.

Married. The rent I pay on the house im in is about the same as the monthly interest i would pay on a 7% mortgage right now for a house at the same price point so it's a no brainer to rent for me. if you add taxes and insurances my avg mortage at current rates would be almost 50% more than my current rent. Other houses around me have rented for 400-500 more so i also got lucky and the interest rates have gone up.

I'll only buy in the future if rates come down or i have enough to put a lot for the down payment. I love not having to deal with the small issues that have come up like garbage disposals, electric panel issues, outdoor vents needing maintenance etc. Just a text and landlord fixes it.

Last edited:
In most housing markets if u are single. I would not buy unless it’s a distressed property at least 20% under market value. But those get gobbled up quickly.

u can get a luxury downtown condo for $3000/or less in MOST cities. I said most not all.

Like I said. There are carrying cost of home ownership.

If u live in upstate New York. Ur property taxes on a 500k home is 15k.

If u live in most parts of Texas. Property taxes on a 500k home is 10k

But yes. U can save 40% gross

If u gross 40k a month. U can save 16k pretty easy. Ur living expenses will be less than 7k a month post tax money even with 3k rent.

40k means roughly 24-25k post tax money a month (after pretax 403b/457b deductions)

U can put away say $4000 a month into 403b/457b pretax. So u only only need to save another 12k to make it 40% gross savings.

U will have 10-12k post tax to live off. And I think u can live off 7-8k a month as single person.

In most housing markets if u are single. I would not buy unless it’s a distressed property at least 20% under market value. But those get gobbled up quickly.

u can get a luxury downtown condo for $3000/or less in MOST cities. I said most not all.

Like I said. There are carrying cost of home ownership.

If u live in upstate New York. Ur property taxes on a 500k home is 15k.

If u live in most parts of Texas. Property taxes on a 500k home is 10k

But yes. U can save 40% gross

If u gross 40k a month. U can save 16k pretty easy. Ur living expenses will be less than 7k a month post tax money even with 3k rent.

40k means roughly 24-25k post tax money a month (after pretax 403b/457b deductions)

U can put away say $4000 a month into 403b/457b pretax. So u only only need to save another 12k to make it 40% gross savings.

U will have 10-12k post tax to live off. And I think u can live off 7-8k a month as single person.

200k for 17 years with 5% real returns leads to 5m real in 2041. So i'm assuming thats why the voting in the polls was in this range. You'd have to be grossing 500 ish first of all. Thats alot of capital for a long time. Not sure how realistic that is. No wonder its so damn hard to even get to 5m inflation adjusted for newbies. They basically have to do it at age 33 to 50 without fail so adding a few years is probably how we get to 55 yo. I dont think people realize this when they just plug 8-10% returns and forget its probably going to be 5% real.

Depends how much you're making. If you're making 700k+, saving 40% of gross with no kids and renting should be quite doable

Depends how much you're making. If you're making 700k+, saving 40% of gross with no kids and renting should be quite doable

Im really worried that people hear 5m and think oh its not that much anymore for some reason. It takes a good chunk of investing for almost 2 decades to get there for some fresh 32-33 yo assuming they are 500k from day 1. Not an easy feat but i think bc everyone thinks in nominal terms thats the issue. It ain't super easy getting there unless you start early.

Im really worried that people hear 5m and think oh its not that much anymore for some reason. It takes a good chunk of investing for almost 2 decades to get there for some fresh 32-33 yo assuming they are 500k from day 1. Not an easy feat but i think bc everyone thinks in nominal terms thats the issue. It ain't super easy getting there unless you start early.
But let's say you get to $2.5 Million by age 45. Then, the power of compounding will do the rest over the next 10 ($5 million) or 20 years ($10 million +).
All it takes is some hard work upfront to save that $2.5 million then time in the market will do the rest for you. That's why it is critical to save money in those early years (pre-age 45) so you have the time for compounding to do its magic.

Reactions: 2 users

95% of all investors, myself included, would be better off with VTI over 30 years as our main fund/ETF; this would beat 90% of all financial advisors out there.

Reactions: 4 users
But let's say you get to $2.5 Million by age 45. Then, the power of compounding will do the rest over the next 10 ($5 million) or 20 years ($10 million +).
All it takes is some hard work upfront to save that $2.5 million then time in the market will do the rest for you. That's why it is critical to save money in those early years (pre-age 45) so you have the time for compounding to do its magic.

Not trying to go against what you are saying. But if you are planning for 5 % real growth it takes 14 years to go from 2.5 to 5m if you don't contribute anything and 10 years will get you from 2.5 to 5 but you need to keep contributing 75k yearly which isn't too bad at 5% real growth.

You guys do well... I have around 900k right now including the down payment on my house. 30 going on 31. I'm EM.. maybe I should've done anesthesia lol. I think I'll probably be fine by 50, and the SO will start to help next year. Taking an 80k/year pay cut soon to take more vacations and spend off days drinking on the beach because I think I work too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys do well... I have around 900k right now including the down payment on my house. 30 going on 31. I'm EM.. maybe I should've done anesthesia lol. I think I'll probably be fine by 50, and the SO will start to help next year. Taking an 80k/year pay cut soon to take more vacations and spend off days drinking on the beach because I think I work too much.
Bro..you have 900k at 31? Of course you’ll be fine at 50.

Reactions: 3 users
Bro..you have 900k at 31? Of course you’ll be fine at 50.

I want to know how this is possible. Do they have a side business? Someone die? Wtf

It took me literally much later to even have even close to that and I dont live well at all. No vacations no fancy cars no divorce no mistress no house and a working spouse.

Is it the tax regime?

Is my investing strategy off? (Mostly vanguard. Etf that track SP500 with some blue chips mixed in)

Maxing out the 403/457

I Have a side hustle as well

was thinking of starting an llc to collect money for the side hustle and tax write offs

Short of crime or starting a business not really sure what to do

• Haha

How long have you been an attending? Great job would be interested if you've been at it for 3-4 years if you have been doing extra shifts and investing outside of index funds. keep it up.

How long have you been an attending? Great job would be interested if you've been at it for 3-4 years if you have been doing extra shifts and investing outside of index funds. keep it up.
Coming up on 2 years. I did forget to mention I have an upcoming tax payment which will lower that number by 100k. Oh well. No side hustles. I make around 55k-60k/month doing primarily locums in my area. Have an s corp which helps with taxes. I didn’t have any loans to pay off so that helped. I think I graduated residency with 60k in my accounts. Investments are primarily combination of index funds, tech stocks, and maxing out retirement accounts. I have lived somewhat frugally over the past 2 years and I don’t have any kids so that has helped.

Coming up on 2 years. I did forget to mention I have an upcoming tax payment which will lower that number by 100k. Oh well. No side hustles. I make around 55k-60k/month doing primarily locums in my area. Have an s corp which helps with taxes. I didn’t have any loans to pay off so that helped. I think I graduated residency with 60k in my accounts. Investments are primarily combination of index funds, tech stocks, and maxing out retirement accounts. I have lived somewhat frugally over the past 2 years and I don’t have any kids so that has helped.

2 years out I was at maybe half of what you have

I was almost 40 before saving up my first million. But, then I was able to save my next million by 45. I can tell you saving up that first million was 10 x harder than saving that last million. Once you get over $2 million it’s relatively easy to grow your wealth with savings plus time. My goal has always been a 2 percent SWR to avoid SRR and leave money for my kids/grandkids. For others FIRE is more important than just financial independence. We all have our own goals and I’ve met some who will never retire. That’s not me as I anticipate hanging it up completely in a few years.

Reactions: 3 users
I was almost 40 before saving up my first million. But, then I was able to save my next million by 45. I can tell you saving up that first million was 10 x harder than saving that last million. Once you get over $2 million it’s relatively easy to grow your wealth with savings plus time. My goal has always been a 2 percent SWR to avoid SRR and leave money for my kids/grandkids. For others FIRE is more important than just financial independence. We all have our own goals and I’ve met some who will never retire. That’s not me as I anticipate hanging it up completely in a few years.

In your field esp with the demand you could work 1 week every 2-3 months and retain your skills until age would determine for how long you could do that. I feel your wired that as long as your able to you'll want to work in some capacity since your way past doing it for financial reasons.

2 years out I was at maybe half of what you have
he's making 700k out the gate 1099 probably with deductions and all. That's rare well until now when your field doing locums can go even beyond that but not sure best role for newbies right out of the gate.

this networth thing you are polling includes your primary home and assets (car, sofa, etc) right
People are scoffing at your inclusion of sofas. Heck, most doctor's sofas cost more than my cars lol.

In your field esp with the demand you could work 1 week every 2-3 months and retain your skills until age would determine for how long you could do that. I feel your wired that as long as your able to you'll want to work in some capacity since your way past doing it for financial reasons.

My friends are all buying $1000 dollar chairs while I'm here sitting on ikea furniture

I still have my value city living room furniture from my first attending apartment when i was single. Its one of those L shaped black couches with an ottoman thing. Sucker cost 1000-1200 bucks its only 6-7 years old. Wife says its going in the basement in our future house if im lucky. I don't understand what's wrong with it still.

I still have my value city living room furniture from my first attending apartment when i was single. Its one of those L shaped black couches with an ottoman thing. Sucker cost 1000-1200 bucks its only 6-7 years old. Wife says its going in the basement in our future house if im lucky. I don't understand what's wrong with it still.
Have you been to RH and sat on the cloud couch?

I still have my value city living room furniture from my first attending apartment when i was single. It’s one of those L shaped black couches with an ottoman thing. Sucker cost 1000-1200 bucks its only 6-7 years old. Wife says it’s going in the basement in our future house if im lucky. I don't understand what's wrong with it still.
If you still do know what’s wrong with your wife, consider yourself lucky!

• Haha

Thanks but I have a long time before i reach recreational levels of work.

The better question is since 5m seems to be the popular poll choice in this thread for let's assume liquid net worth only how does age impact this achievement if one was considering pulling the plug once they have reached this milestone,

Would you be telling those achieving this feat at age 45, 50, or 55 that you still need to work PT for 5 years even if a 3-3.5% SWR covers all their expenses including taxes and health insurance? Assume everyone takes Social Security at age 62 as well.

EDIT: I think there may be something to a FIXED withdrawal range that DOES NOT change with inflation first 5 years to avoid SORR. So you retire at 45-50 yo and you dont want to go PT for 5 years then you better stick to the 150k withdrawal first 5 years. That might give you enough protection.

Last edited:
Same here. Have a nice large comfy couch from my old apartment that I bought used off of FB marketplace. Has a couple scuffs but otherwise looks great. SO put it in the basement and says we need a new couch that's going to be 2K. Good thing we have a money tree in the back yard.

If I didn’t by a house with some (a small step above ikea) furniture I would probably be at a savings rate of 40%, but off my ‘meager’ academic salary I’ve only been at 30-35%.

Same here. Have a nice large comfy couch from my old apartment that I bought used off of FB marketplace. Has a couple scuffs but otherwise looks great. SO put it in the basement and says we need a new couch that's going to be 2K. Good thing we have a money tree in the back yard.
Are these wives even making money or just spending it?

Are these wives even making money or just spending it?

All i'll say its an advantage if both partners work there's less time to buy things and go places which adds up for how behind doctors are at the start of a career.

Last edited:
Have you been to RH and sat on the cloud couch?
Have one, with the wrap around book case. Spendy, but very comfortable. Has lasted 6+ years so far and is a great mid day sleeper.
If I get 15-20 years out of it it will def be worth it.

Have one, with the wrap around book case. Spendy, but very comfortable. Has lasted 6+ years so far and is a great mid day sleeper.
If I get 15-20 years out of it it will def be worth it.

I know you have higher end numbers than most on here. In your first decade of attending hood were you focused on keeping yearly expenses below any number i.e. 120-200k and everything else went into investments?

I know you have higher end numbers than most on here. In your first decade of attending hood were you focused on keeping yearly expenses below any number i.e. 120-200k and everything else went into investments?
Absolutely. My first house was a very modest 3000 sq ft home that was bought for 220k. Lived in one of the cheapest states in the nation. Daily life was cheap (rode my bike to work sometimes). 2 hearts by 3pm = $4000 I banked everything and paid off all debt including the house (retrospectively probably not the best decision). Then a few years in I started getting into real estate. At this point I am invested in 4 hotels in Vegas (one across from the new Stadium) as well as real estate in Colorado. Those initial years of sacrifice were real and soul draining, but 1000% worth it. Few jobs offer the investment opportunity as being a physician. Need to be disciplined though. Start early so that by the time you are 50 you can just walk away.

It is ok to buy a 50-60k car in your mid 40s when your net worth is ONLY 1.1+ million?

I have a 15-yr old car with 150k miles on it (still drives ok) and I feel like I need a newer one (2021-2022), but I am not sure if it will be a wise decision given that I am way behind financially

It is ok to buy a 50-60k car in your mid 40s when your net worth is ONLY 1.1+ million?

I have a 15-yr old car with 150k miles on it (still drives ok) and I feel like I need a newer one (2021-2022), but I am not sure if it will be a wise decision given that I am way behind financially
There are people with negative net worths who buy cars like that, so it’s definitely ok. We have one new and one old car and the old car requires much more in maintenance costs, though still low enough to be worth keeping around.

If your new car takes premium gas and gets 10 miles to the gallon, there are probably wiser models you could pick financially.

Safety designs have changed drastically in the last several years. Just bite the bullet and get a newer car.

you goals are a 2m nw plus a paid off house? Your not that far away. You can finance the car if you really want it or even find a shorter lease on the car on third party sites. If you plan to keep this new car for the next 10 plus years then just get a new car that will last. The rav 4 hybrid is a great car imo and will easily get you 150k-200k plus may be 30k if you get one used.

Safety designs have changed drastically in the last several years. Just bite the bullet and get a newer car.
exactly. I prefer commuting in SUV's if possible and a bunch have 5 star safety rating. Not an area I would skimp on imo as i'd always want high level safety.

you goals are a 2m nw plus a paid off house? Your not that far away. You can finance the car if you really want it or even find a shorter lease on the car on third party sites. If you plan to keep this new car for the next 10 plus years then just get a new car that will last. The rav 4 hybrid is a great car imo and will easily get you 150k-200k plus may be 30k if you get one used.
I updated it to 2.5m plus a paid off house. Hoping to reach it in 7 yrs, but with me only saving/investing 10k/month, I think it might take longer.

You have your head screwed on correctly. I have 2 fun sporty vehicles that aren't worth much at all and don't cost much to insure and I couldn't care less. If you are happy driving what you have then the hell with impressing people you don't even care about anyway.

I updated it to 2.5m plus a paid off house. Hoping to reach it in 7 yrs, but with me only saving/investing 10k/month, I think it might take longer.

How many years have you been an attending now I'm guessing around 3. You are a millionaire already and you have got a house at low rates and it seems your salary is only going up. Your way ahead of schedule my friend.

1.1m now getting 6-7 % real for 7 years and your investing 120/yr gets you to that number. Either finance the car or make it an 8 year plan and buy the car outright. Don't skimp on safety but i say go with a mid size SUV hybrid. I get 40mpg in my rav 4 hybrid and will keep it for 10 years at least.

I did lease some cars way back for 700 ish/mo but i used it for business so got deductions and no longer wanted german luxury cars they are fun to drive but not replace parts or keep long term. dealership wanted 400 for 1 tire for example lol.

Last edited:
How many years have you been an attending now I'm guessing around 3. You are a millionaire already and you have got a house at low rates and it seems your salary is only going up. Your way ahead of schedule my friend.

1.1m now getting 6-7 % real for 7 years and your investing 120/yr gets you to that number. Either finance the car or make it an 8 year plan and buy the car outright. Don't skimp on safety but i say go with a mid size SUV hybrid. I get 40mpg in my rav 4 hybrid and will keep it for 10 years at least.

I did lease some cars way back for 700 ish/mo but i used it for business so got deductions and no longer wanted german luxury cars they are fun to drive but not replace parts or keep long term. dealership wanted 400 for 1 tire for example lol.
Correct. I might buy the car at the end of this year depending how things turn out.

Net Worth is important if you want to Fire. My goal was always to semi retire by age 55 with no more than a 2% SWR. I made it to that goal so I now work as I see fit. I didn't want to ever FIRE but I did want Financial Independence. The cost of living is now much higher so I still want to maintain that 2% SWR when i fully retire but for now I'm satisfied with my level of work. I like knowing I can walk away at any time.
Your goals are your own so set them and design a plan to get you there. I think everyone should design a plan and test it as well as stress test it.

Net Worth is important if you want to Fire. My goal was always to semi retire by age 55 with no more than a 2% SWR. I made it to that goal so I now work as I see fit. I didn't want to ever FIRE but I did want Financial Independence. The cost of living is now much higher so I still want to maintain that 2% SWR when i fully retire but for now I'm satisfied with my level of work. I like knowing I can walk away at any time.
Your goals are your own so set them and design a plan to get you there. I think everyone should design a plan and test it as well as stress test it.
I am guessing you are mid 60’s.
How much are you working now?

What was your number?