Netter's Pediatrics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sella.turcica

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this book any good at all / for an aspiring pediatrics resident (currently M3)?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this book any good at all / for an aspiring pediatrics resident (currently M3)?
It looks like there's only one edition which is 7 years old. That's pretty close to being out of date. I have no idea if its any good. I don't know anyone who has used this book.

If you want a book to study visual diagnoses the one most Pediatricians use is Zitelli's Atlas of Pediatric Physical Diagnosis

Members don't see this ad :)
Jumping off the OP's question: are there any books you'd recommend for an incoming peds resident? I was planning on just using online stuff +/- harriet lane

Jumping off the OP's question: are there any books you'd recommend for an incoming peds resident? I was planning on just using online stuff +/- harriet lane

Nope. Online stuff is sufficient.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user

Everyone needs the most current Harriet Lane. Its the definitive reference for lab values/vital signs/drug doses/whatever. Odds are your program will give you one but otherwise you need to buy it.

I like baby 411 and toddler 411. They're Q&A books written for new parents. Spend a weekend on each one, reading it cover to cover, and you'll sound way more competent when you hit clinic.

For NICU I like Polin and Yoder's practical Neonatology. Its basically a case files book for NICU. Hard read, but doable in a 4 week NICU block if you push. If you finish it you'll sound like a superstar.

Finally there is Zitelli. Its a great reference, and you'll probably buy it for board review. If you have some spare $$ I would buy it now, though it ccan definitely wait if you are short on funds.

Everyone needs the most current Harriet Lane. Its the definitive reference for lab values/vital signs/drug doses/whatever. Odds are your program will give you one but otherwise you need to buy it.

I like baby 411 and toddler 411. They're Q&A books written for new parents. Spend a weekend on each one, reading it cover to cover, and you'll sound way more competent when you hit clinic.

For NICU I like Polin and Yoder's practical Neonatology. Its basically a case files book for NICU. Hard read, but doable in a 4 week NICU block if you push. If you finish it you'll sound like a superstar.

Finally there is Zitelli. Its a great reference, and you'll probably buy it for board review. If you have some spare $$ I would buy it now, though it ccan definitely wait if you are short on funds.

Awesome, thanks!

I was not a huge fan of Polin and Yoder’s book. I think neonatology by Gomella is a must have if your program gives autonomy. Harriet Lane seems like a must have but I’ve opened my less than a handful of times. Zitellis is great. I personally love Nelson pediatric symptom based diagnosis and Bergman clinical decision making. I would say try to get your hands on those to see if you like the format. Also 5 minute series pediatric emergency is an excellent resource to read quickly about things. But all of this can be found online.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0323...=2Z8C983D60KA75NK11S0&dpPl=1&dpID=51FGlAlXxtL
Grab this or pediatric symptom based diagnosis, super useful as most of your hpis or calls will be “patient presents with this symptom” and once you’ve narrowed down what you think it is you can just up to date the management

For your well child’s grab the bright futures pocket guide, will list the universal and selective screens you need to do, developmental stage, vaccines needed and the anticipatory guidance needed. Can glance at this real quick before every appointment.

Lastly get either pocket pediatrics or Harriet lane (I prefer pocket pediatrics), a copy of baby 411 and your pals card (you should know your abcs backwards and forwards).

Personally these with UpToDate in between got me through intern year