Networking as a pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silvermist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know how getting a job is mainly about who you know, so I was wondering how you recommend maintaining a professional network as a new pharmacist. This isn't something I've heard a lot about, so I thought maybe it deserved its own thread. I'm currently a P3, and here are my plans, as well as what I've currently been doing (when applicable):

• Relationships in student fraternity as well as alumnae chapter of said fraternity
  • Maintaining relationships with professors with whom I've done research and publications
  • (Hopefully) maintaining relationships with APPE preceptors
  • Remaining involved post-graduation in state chapter of APhA as well as other professional orgs
  • LinkedIn (or even FB) with past classmates and friends I've made on rotations (just to keep current contact info)

Anything missing? Anything that's worked for you? Figure we could all use a little help with effective networks given the current state of the market :)

Members don't see this ad.

I know how getting a job is mainly about who you know, so I was wondering how you recommend maintaining a professional network as a new pharmacist. This isn't something I've heard a lot about, so I thought maybe it deserved its own thread. I'm currently a P3, and here are my plans, as well as what I've currently been doing (when applicable):

• Relationships in student fraternity as well as alumnae chapter of said fraternity
  • Maintaining relationships with professors with whom I've done research and publications
  • (Hopefully) maintaining relationships with APPE preceptors
  • Remaining involved post-graduation in state chapter of APhA as well as other professional orgs
  • LinkedIn (or even FB) with past classmates and friends I've made on rotations (just to keep current contact info)

Anything missing? Anything that's worked for you? Figure we could all use a little help with effective networks given the current state of the market :)

Have you interned anywhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would most definitely note those experiences/contacts.

I don't know many pharmacists really involved in APhA, but almost all the pharmacists here are involved in the local ASHP chapter. Personally, I go to NYSCHP in NYC as well as the Long Island chapters, meet a lot of directors, clinical Rx, that way.