Neuraxial blocks - questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laurel123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
CASE 1: Have you guys ever seen someone get very sedated about 2-6 hours after an intrathecal dose of morphine? I did a TKA yesterday in an spry 70 year old lady with a spinal and 0.2 of intrathecal morphine. Little propofol for the case - no IV narcs whatsoever.

In PACU, (about two hours after injection) she is very sleepy (but arousable) and nauseated. About four hours after, the same, but when she wakes up she gets very nauseated and diaphoretic. I do some general examining and questioning for other issues like a cardiac event (EKG), hypovolemia, bleeding into the knee, electrolytes, chest pain, SOB just to rule out any wierdness. Spinal has worn off, but she is still very sleepy and very nauseated and no IV narcotics given yet.

Well, I give a little Nubain to see what a little reversal will do, and it actually perks her up a little and really helps with the nausea. I considered a Narcan drip, but in this little community hospital, this requires ICU admission, so I send her off to IMC overnight to watch her sats. I haven't seen such extreme sensitivity to intrathecal morphine before.

Case #2: Hypercoagulable pregnant girl comes in. She has been on full anticoagulation dose of Lovenox, stopped for 24 hours - they have given her 7000 U of heparin SQ. (sort of a random dose, in my opinion). I say when she wants an epidural, just send off a PTT and if its OK, we are good to go. But one partner says 7000 U is a prophylactic dose, no need to check anything and another partner says we need to check platelets and INR and PTT because of her history of Lovenox, hypercoag history and higher than normal dose of SQ heparin. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Case 1: I've definitely seen it and it is impressive at times. I wonder if some IV caffeine would help? I haven't tried it. Just wondering, how was her BP throughout all of this?

Case 2: I had the exact same thing the other night at 3am. I didn't check PTT. I wouldn't blame anyone for checking though. The INR and PT I doubt would be necessary.

Case 1: I've definitely seen it and it is impressive at times. I wonder if some IV caffeine would help? I haven't tried it. Just wondering, how was her BP throughout all of this?

Case 2: I had the exact same thing the other night at 3am. I didn't check PTT. I wouldn't blame anyone for checking though. The INR and PT I doubt would be necessary.

Case 1: BP was fine. About baseline. She was a pretty healthy old lady and I never saw much change in BP from preop, to the spinal placement, to the cementing, to the tourniquet going down, to PACU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Case # 2. I think PT, INR, PLT are going to be useless in her unless you have specific reason to believe otherwise. Even the PTT is going to be suspect depending on what sort of hypercoagulable state she has. If she has lupus anticoagulant it might be off anyway. The ASRA guidelines would agree that 5000 SQ as a prophylactic dose would not require testing. 7000 is kind of a random dose though.

CASE 1: Have you guys ever seen someone get very sedated about 2-6 hours after an intrathecal dose of morphine? I did a TKA yesterday in an spry 70 year old lady with a spinal and 0.2 of intrathecal morphine. Little propofol for the case - no IV narcs whatsoever.

In PACU, (about two hours after injection) she is very sleepy (but arousable) and nauseated. About four hours after, the same, but when she wakes up she gets very nauseated and diaphoretic. I do some general examining and questioning for other issues like a cardiac event (EKG), hypovolemia, bleeding into the knee, electrolytes, chest pain, SOB just to rule out any wierdness. Spinal has worn off, but she is still very sleepy and very nauseated and no IV narcotics given yet.

Well, I give a little Nubain to see what a little reversal will do, and it actually perks her up a little and really helps with the nausea. I considered a Narcan drip, but in this little community hospital, this requires ICU admission, so I send her off to IMC overnight to watch her sats. I haven't seen such extreme sensitivity to intrathecal morphine before.

Case #2: Hypercoagulable pregnant girl comes in. She has been on full anticoagulation dose of Lovenox, stopped for 24 hours - they have given her 7000 U of heparin SQ. (sort of a random dose, in my opinion). I say when she wants an epidural, just send off a PTT and if its OK, we are good to go. But one partner says 7000 U is a prophylactic dose, no need to check anything and another partner says we need to check platelets and INR and PTT because of her history of Lovenox, hypercoag history and higher than normal dose of SQ heparin. Thoughts?
Case #1 Are you sure you only gave 0.2 mg morphine?
Case # 2 if the heparin has been given less than 4 hours ago I would definitely check the PTT and compare it to base line PTT which you probably have in this patient.
Although the dose might be considered prophylactic, the time after giving the dose is important and if ASRA disagrees let them come do the spinal.

i completely agree with noyac......i have seen the type of sedation in case 1 and it does not surprise me..