Neuraxial hypotension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamLover

Bored Certified
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there know of a decent article that describes a known relationship of using low dose IM ephedrine/IV ephedrine/IV phenylephrine to treat hypotension post epidural placement and subsequent placental abruption?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone out there know of a decent article that describes a known relationship of using low dose IM ephedrine/IV ephedrine/IV phenylephrine to treat hypotension post epidural placement and subsequent placental abruption?

Thanks!

Are you saying that the injection of Ephedrine or Phenylephrine would be somehow responsible for the abruption?

Thanks!

i dont see a causal relationship here...

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you saying that the injection of Ephedrine or Phenylephrine would be somehow responsible for the abruption?

no...I'm not saying it is...I was wondering if anyone out there had ever postulated the idea....I peresonally can't come up with a good mechanism that would describe it.....that's why I was asking

Did someone tell you that an abruption happened because you gave a pressor?

no, not at all...it's just that 2 cases this week alone involved a great sympathectomy with accompanying hypotension, treatment of hypotension and subsequent within the hour c-sections for abruptions....just associations, certainly not causations-I think it is just a random thing that occured and probably more related to the no prenatal care /poorly compliant population that the university serves

no, not at all...it's just that 2 cases this week alone involved a great sympathectomy with accompanying hypotension, treatment of hypotension and subsequent within the hour c-sections for abruptions....just associations, certainly not causations-i think it is just a random thing that occured and probably more related to the no prenatal care /poorly compliant population that the university serves

bingo

Im sure the coke use amongst this population isnt helping either