Neuro Critical Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandimd

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently coming to the end of my third year, and of all the things I've done, I've really enjoyed Neuro ICU. On neurology i had the opportunity to do a week in neuro ICU and then i did my elective in it. My problem- I don't know if i really want to do Neurology first. Does anyone know if it's possible to do a neuro critical care fellowship after a medicine residency? Or should i just try and find the things i do like about neuro and focus on those.

Thanx.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally know of a neurointensivist who initially went through medicine and has no neurology training. Though this is clearly an exception rather than the rule, it presently seems to be a possibility. However, neurointensive care fellowship programs will probably be receiving accreditation in the next few years, and with this might come certain prerequisites such as neurology training.

For sure, however, one can go into neurointensive care through anesthesiology--which might be an option for you in case you were not so interested in neurology.