Neuro getting popular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exgatr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of yall notice that there are more people going into Neuro? At my school, we've got ~6 this year, which is up from 2 normally. I'm hoping this is just a fluke and it isn't getting really competitive.

Members don't see this ad.

I bet that neurology residency wil become more competitive in upcoming 5 years for the following reasons:

1. Neurology match moved to NRMP, this will allow more people to apply to Neurology when they discover it "later" in the year.

2. New therapeutic modalities in Neurology that are currently/in the process of being implemented for formerly untreatable neurologic diseases.

3. The coming of the golden age of Stroke care, i.e. as the care of a "brain attack" is about 10 years behind that of acute MI care, there will be more and more stroke centers of excellence, and possibilly many new therapeutic modalities rolling out the pipeline. The need for caring for aging U.S. population and expected spike in number of stroke cases may open up more neurology residency spots.

4. More awareness about sub-specialities of neurology like sleep studies, EMG, pain care fellowships, for people who want a "niche".

5. More schools might be making the neurology rotation a requirement, and thus increasing exposure, but this is only speculation, I have no hard numbers.

6. Neurology expanding into new areas i.e. interventional neurology, Neuro-infectious diseases, and perhaps in the future a neuro-radiology fellowship for neurologists who want to be formally trained to read head MRIs and CTs and other specific tests, although they informally do this now, this is only speculation though on my part.

6. Neurology expanding into new areas i.e. interventional neurology, Neuro-infectious diseases, and perhaps in the future a neuro-radiology fellowship for neurologists who want to be formally trained to read head MRIs and CTs and other specific tests, although they informally do this now, this is only speculation though on my part.

Good points ChildNeuro.

To my understanding, it is possible to do a formal Neuroimaging fellowship through a Radiology department. One can also informally document exposure to neuroimaging studies and experience for a CAQ.

Check this out:

http://www.asnweb.org/