Neuro on Step 2CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor10

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Is it true that Neurology is about 10-15% of the Step 2 exam? That figure seems high.

2) What do you all recommend for preparing for Neuro (besides UW)?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that figure is true. In my experience the test was pretty light on Neuro, which sucks since I considered it a strength. There seemed to be a focus on peripheral stuff rather than central, ha a lot of MS, nerve injuries (radial, median, ulnar) and stuff like GBS.

It also seemed that there was more of an emphasis on basics, for example I had a question wrong where I chose Schwann cells over oligodendrocytes for MS. Also had a semi-easy question about the optic nerve radiation.

Pretty much everything was covered in UWorld and MTB, even down to some very specific questions. Only thing that I remember out of those was Transverse Myelitis, which I had thankfully read an article about on Medscape a week before my exam.

I don't think that figure is true. In my experience the test was pretty light on Neuro, which sucks since I considered it a strength. There seemed to be a focus on peripheral stuff rather than central, ha a lot of MS, nerve injuries (radial, median, ulnar) and stuff like GBS.

It also seemed that there was more of an emphasis on basics, for example I had a question wrong where I chose Schwann cells over oligodendrocytes for MS. Also had a semi-easy question about the optic nerve radiation.

Pretty much everything was covered in UWorld and MTB, even down to some very specific questions. Only thing that I remember out of those was Transverse Myelitis, which I had thankfully read an article about on Medscape a week before my exam.

Ronin, you seem to echo the same sentiments other people had when they took CK. So in your experience, do you think the average US med student can hit 220 on the CK by just going through all the uworld questions once? thanks in advance

Ronin, you seem to echo the same sentiments other people had when they took CK. So in your experience, do you think the average US med student can hit 220 on the CK by just going through all the uworld questions once? thanks in advance

I thought Ronin was an IMG?

The average for AMGs is a 237. Just going by numbers in the Step 2 thread itd seem that 220 is fairly easy for an average AMG. Many actually seem to hit that and higher without even getting through all of UW. (Although it seems crazy to me...)

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought Ronin was an IMG?

The average for AMGs is a 237. Just going by numbers in the Step 2 thread itd seem that 220 is fairly easy for an average AMG. Many actually seem to hit that and higher without even getting through all of UW. (Although it seems crazy to me...)

Wow bud already studying for Step 2....you're going to tear it a new fistula. :thumbup:

PS: Ronin, change your AV. Suits is a horrible show, basically a rip of House MD but has lolyers instead.

Wow bud already studying for Step 2....you're going to tear it a new fistula. :thumbup:

PS: Ronin, change your AV. Suits is a horrible show, basically a rip of House MD but has lolyers instead.

:laugh: I don't like lawyers, but Suits isn't similar to House at all. Harvey is the polar opposite of House.

And yes, I am an IMG, but a 220 is a fairly easy score to achieve I would say. I mean thats 1 SD below the mean, so we're talking around 35%? Shouldn't be too hard for someone whos done rotations in the US. You should aim much higher though.

Btw, I remembered this from another thread, but I forgot that dementia is considered a subset of neuro. Step 2 loves Alzheimer's, Multi-Infarct Dementia and those differentials. They're all in UWorld (outside of Mild Cognitive Impairment) so definitely focus on those because they are definitely going to come on the exam.

Btw, I remembered this from another thread, but I forgot that dementia is considered a subset of neuro. Step 2 loves Alzheimer's, Multi-Infarct Dementia and those differentials. They're all in UWorld (outside of Mild Cognitive Impairment) so definitely focus on those because they are definitely going to come on the exam.

Yeah, I just got came across those questions.

Actually, quick Q regarding that: In a patient with Huntingtons - Do they get depression as part of the clinical pathology or is it more do to their struggle with the illness and knowing what is coming up?

I realize it might be a dumb question...but I wasn't sure. (I've never come across a pt with Huntingtons at my med school or during my intern year.)

Haha, well, I've been done with med school, so trying to make this years match. If I can get a ~225+ I have something lined up, but I'm certainly aiming much higher.

Yeah, I just got came across those questions.

Actually, quick Q regarding that: In a patient with Huntingtons - Do they get depression as part of the clinical pathology or is it more do to their struggle with the illness and knowing what is coming up?

I realize it might be a dumb question...but I wasn't sure. (I've never come across a pt with Huntingtons at my med school or during my intern year.)
I'm not sure really. All I know is that the triad for Huntingtons is Dementia, Depression and Chorea.

According to the Mayo website its not as a result of being sad over the diagnosis:
The most common psychiatric disorder associated with Huntington's disease is depression. This isn't simply a reaction to receiving a diagnosis of Huntington's disease. Instead, depression appears to occur because of injury to the brain and subsequent changes in brain function.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/huntingtons-disease/DS00401/DSECTION=symptoms

:laugh: I don't like lawyers, but Suits isn't similar to House at all. Harvey is the polar opposite of House.

1323981617_bertstare.jpg

i cant wait to start to post in this part of the forum...CDI and I will kill the S2CK/CS...:naughty: