Neuro or not?

Started by Domerr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Domerr

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, MSIII here.

I've always had an interest in Neuro. I like the nervous system and find CNS diseases fascinating. Simply put, I had my course set for Neuro...until I did my Neuro rotation (it was painfully boring). There wasn't much variety, and the rotation as a whole didn't stand out for me. Also, the pace was too slow.

All in all, I guess I'm looking for more variety. Procedures would be a plus. So now I'm considering EM and IM. Of course, Neuro is still not completely out of the picture (I still love Neuro as a system).

Did anyone else come across this path?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
If you really do like neuro, you might want to do an away rotation. There are some neuro departments that are sleepy backwaters, and others that are fast-paced, highly varied, and extremely busy. I'd caution you against writing off the specialty from one experience.
 
Yes, I agree. Do an away rotation at one of the top neurology programs like UCSF, Mayo, Johns Hopkins etc. Then decide if it's for you.