Neuro Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tulipsss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a patient cant look up when climbing stairs, what nerve is affected? How about if patient cant look down?

If someone has parinaud syndrome, will there be loss of both upward and downward gaze?

Members don't see this ad.

This is all in First Aid. Parinaud is conjugate vertical gaze, which I believe means up and down using both eyes.

Going down the stairs is a problem with the Trochlear muscle because he cant look down since his Superior Oblique is paralyzed.

As far as I'm aware, the classic Sx of a pineal gland tumor is when the patient is unable to look up and the superior sclerae are visible. These Sx are due to bilateral superior collicular impingment (Parinaud syndrome) because of the growing pinealoma.

If the patient gets diplopia while walking up the stairs, that could signify unilateral oculomotor nerve lesion secondary to diabetic neuropathy.

If the patient cannot look down (I've seen this in a practice question as "diplopia when walking down the stairs at home"), that usually signifies a trochlear nerve lesion, typically secondary to diabetic neuropathy. Another example is not being able to read a page while scanning from top to bottom (i.e. anything that has to do with downward-directed convergence).