neuro shelf this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chintu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took this beast yesterday. Boy what a draining experience it was; I ran out of time, is this common with shelf exams because I've never had that problem before and neuro was my first shelf so I wasn't used to taking it. I also talked to some 4th years who took the shelf with us and they also thought it was one of the harder ones with lots of extraneous info and wordy questions. And from talking to upperclassmen this was supposed to be one of the easier shelf. has anyone else taken neuro shelf yet, i'd appreciate any input on how everyone else felt about it cuz as of now I feel like crap since the exam.

Members don't see this ad.

par for the course with a shelf

Nobody ever really comments on this one. Is neuro not a requirement at every school? I don't take it until almost dead last of 4th year.

Members don't see this ad :)
chintu said:
I just took this beast yesterday. Boy what a draining experience it was; I ran out of time, is this common with shelf exams because I've never had that problem before and neuro was my first shelf so I wasn't used to taking it. I also talked to some 4th years who took the shelf with us and they also thought it was one of the harder ones with lots of extraneous info and wordy questions. And from talking to upperclassmen this was supposed to be one of the easier shelf. has anyone else taken neuro shelf yet, i'd appreciate any input on how everyone else felt about it cuz as of now I feel like crap since the exam.

Neuro is generally one of the hardest shelf exams. We had a 14 point curve while other shelf exams are around 10. It is a 4wk rotation with a lot of information to digest. The vignettes are by far the longest out of all the shelf exams, which is why people tend to run out of time. I think there were a few pages on my shelf that contained only 2 questions because the vignettes were so long :eek: Also, depending on when the 'upperclassmen' took the shelf exams (i.e. at the beginning of 3rd year or at the end) makes a difference as to how 'easy' it is. But frankly, I think it is one of the hardest ones. It was my first rotation.

chintu said:

You would probably feel like crap no matter what shelf exam you started with. The first one seems impossibly hard with not nearly enough time (my first was surgery last year). You'll find the next one easier because you just learn how to navigate these exams better. Don't worry--I made a 70 on my first shelf exam,87 on my second, and a 99 on my third. That's a good trend and I bet it's common.

Thanks guys, I feel little better now and good to hear others feel similar. I just have one question for you guys about grading the shelves; if it is a percentile scoring then would your final eval contain ur percentile or is it like a 2 digit score like step I?