Neuro vs. PMR

Discussion in 'Neurology' started by igotmyswag, Jun 4, 2008.

1. igotmyswag

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am a 4th year medical student from a carib school (Ross) and i am curious about neuro vs PMR. i have a genuine interest in both and need a little help choosing a specialty. I have a step 1 score of 214 and step 2 of 230. no research experience. I am wondering my chances at matching at a reputable program. Also, would neuro be a more lucrative field (salary, lifestyle, etc) than PMR. I have a genuine interest in both so picking the one i love is a bit tough. Maybe someone can give me more insight on this.

thanks

2. Ludicolo

Ludicolo Fib Hunter
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Have you done rotations in each? There is some overlap but can you identify what it is about neuro or PM&R that attracts you to that specialty? Can you identify possible downsides about each field? The salary/lifestyle issues will also vary, depending on what subspecialty of neuro or PM&R you ultimately decide to pursue, where you want to practice, inpatient vs. outpatient, private vs academic, etc.

I'm not going to get into the what are my chances debate.

3. buckley

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I also thought about PM&R vs Neuro but at the end of the day, I realized what I love about neurology is the "mystery" part of it and what I loved about PM&R is the concept of "maximizing" the person's potential. I figured I could get more of both in Neuro than PM&R. And there was also the fact that I contemplated on Internal Medicine as well, and I guess I figured I would get to do more of that with Neuro than PM&R.

I don't think you can draw any generalized conclusion about which pays higher, which has a better lifestyle, what's easier to get into, etc between neuro and PM&R, in the same was as say, Neuro vs Neurosurgery. :laugh:

4. Hemisphere

Hemisphere Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i am currenlty resident in PM&R.
    think about what you will get and what you will miss in either specialty.
    are you also interested in musculoskeletal/orthopedics?
    If so, go into PM&R. you will do modalities like peripheral joint injections, rehab patients with joint replacements, maybe do musculoskeletal ultrasound, you will not get that in neuro. If you like managing and diagnosing acute illnesses eg Guillian barret, MS, myasthenia gravis, acute stroke, then neuro is definitely the way to go. the neuro in PM&R is not acute. We see patients after the neurology service has diagnosed and treated them, usually, (unless the patient strokes out in rehab.) PM&R docs will treat the sequelae of the neuro diseases, such as manage spasticity, gait analysis and orthotics. That said some neurology doctors do neurorehabilitation fellowships, and work in rehab hospitals as well.

as far as general internal medicine, there is plenty in PM&R especially in acute hospital attached rehab centers rather than free-standing rehab hospitals, where patients are a bit less medically stable, and especially given cardiac rehab and pulmonary rehab areas of PM&R.

5. globallmedicine

globallmedicine New Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    helpful thread - any others?