Neuro without research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hereIcome

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm finishing up my third year and strongly considering neuro due to a fascination with the brain and all the patients I have had in IM and FM rotations who were neuro and I loved managing them. I always thought I would end up in primary care, but I'm being romanced by neuro...

I have a liberal arts background and have never done research. Ever. (at least not bench research...have done a tiny bit of clinical-type research that was for my own education and not published or anything)

Can I even consider neuro if I have not been academically-minded in the past? I'm not necessarily opposed to research during residency, but I'm afraid I won't even get accepted if I really have no clue how the whole research thing even works. I've been honoring all my third year rotations but got a sub-par score on Step 1 due to basic sciences being an achilles heel of mine. Just wondering if neuro is out of my reach...

Members don't see this ad.

Neuro is not out of reach. There are plenty of programs out there where you don't need to be into research to fit in. If you want to get into research, then you might want to demonstrate that sooner rather than later to give yourself a shot at more research-minded programs, but a lack of research experience, or even a lack of research interest, is not a deal breaker. This isn't derm.

Neuro is not out of reach. There are plenty of programs out there where you don't need to be into research to fit in. If you want to get into research, then you might want to demonstrate that sooner rather than later to give yourself a shot at more research-minded programs, but a lack of research experience, or even a lack of research interest, is not a deal breaker. This isn't derm.

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Question: Can anything ever "override" lack of research experience on your application (for instance, the rest of one's application being competitive). I am severely lacking any research besides one published case report in ortho of all things. I am also finding it very hard to get anything going before residency application. I am looking at programs in chicago (Northwestern, Rush, U of Chicago, etc).

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Question: Can anything ever "override" lack of research experience on your application (for instance, the rest of one's application being competitive). I am severely lacking any research besides one published case report in ortho of all things. I am also finding it very hard to get anything going before residency application. I am looking at programs in chicago (Northwestern, Rush, U of Chicago, etc).

You could rotate at one of those places and impress some people