neuroanatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smalley

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
whats the best strategy for neuro for step 1........
where can i get a good source of practice questions??

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a lot of time... BRS Neuroanatomy.
Not much time... Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple.

Know the cranial nerves (plus know which holes the different trigeminal nerves enter).
Know your dermatomes.
Trace the proprioception versus pain pathways in the spinal cord.
Know brocas versus wernickes, primary motor cortex vs sensory cortex, hippocampus/amygdala relationship of memory with emotion.

Understand any and every disease process you can think of associated with neuro... (off the top of my head)
  • Circle of Willis and the location of most berry aneurysms (ant communicating last I checked)
  • 3rd N palsy is a Pcomm aneurysm until proven otherwise
  • Subdural versus epidural hematomas
  • Arnold chiari
  • Friedrich's Ataxia and how Vit E deficiency can resemble it
  • Parinaud's syndrome and the sundown effect (compression of superior colliculus)
  • HAL and how ACA infarcts will affect your feet first
  • Tonsillar versus tentorial herniations

Sample questions? Qbank, exam masters... etc.
Most neuroanatomy reviewbooks have solid questions to work off of.

HY neuro is also pretty good (the latest one, not the one from 10 yrs ago)

HY neuro + clinical neuro made ridiculously simple + Kaplan neuro (if you have time) = solid foundation!

as for questions, qbank, usmlerx, usmleworld............try not to do exammasters, they have HORRIBLE reviews........

HY neuro if you have the time. But neuro is not very heavily tested and FA is sufficient.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought FA was just so-so for Neuro.

I like HY Neuro because it's pretty much sufficient for every neuroanatomy question, and yet does a good job of restricting itself to what is "high yield."

I think HY Neuroanatomy is OK. It lists the key points. But it may be boring to read, though.

Is HY Neuro good enough then?
I have got one.

I wish to go over Neuro in a week or two ( spend like a weekend on it)
I know it's early but I wish to knock this one off and as mentioned before - its not heavily tested - so good to get those questions right.

Is HY Neuro good enough then?
I have got one.

I wish to go over Neuro in a week or two ( spend like a weekend on it)
I know it's early but I wish to knock this one off and as mentioned before - its not heavily tested - so good to get those questions right.
neuro does come to the extent of 12 to 15%.......so its better u dont neglect neuro as such..........if ya are good in neuro then hy is enough i think......or else take some other material like kaplan neuro etc along with hy

I've seen Road-Map, Deja Review, and BRS for Neuroscience. I also heard that Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple is good. As for questions, I suppose there is always pre-test.

about pretest....how is it for all the other subjects like path and pathophys i wans thinkin of using those as i studied in the beginning....anyone done these?

neuro does come to the extent of 20 to 25%
.......so its better u dont neglect neuro as such..........if ya are good in neuro

20-25% of what? the test? That's insane. Maybe 10-12%.

There is no way someone taking step1 has a neuro question every 4-5 questions.

about pretest....how is it for all the other subjects like path and pathophys i wans thinkin of using those as i studied in the beginning....anyone done these?

I have all the pretest books for basic science and have been using them along with my courses...I love them. Path and pathophys I think are especially good in that they use fewer buzzwords, and have questions you really have to think through.

I just picked up a copy of RR Neuro and I have to say that it is fantastic. More detail and better explanations than HY Neuro. There are actually brain-stem slices with areas of common lesions and findings on exam. Great figures. There are 100 Q's in the book and if you register the book at Studentconsult.com there are an additional 250 Q's like the other RR books.

neuro does come to the extent of 20 to 25%.......so its better u dont neglect neuro as such..........if ya are good in neuro then hy is enough i think......or else take some other material like kaplan neuro etc along with hy
This is completely false.

Based on your English I'm guessing you a FMG?

Guys,
should I buy BRS Neuro or Rapid Review?

Please reply asap as I need to make a decision quickly.

Thanks
BRS is pretty wordy for a review book....HY is more concise IMO....but you still need a general understanding of Neuro to get what you need to out of these books

edit...sorry...thought you said BRS vs. HY... my bad...

Guys,
should I buy BRS Neuro or Rapid Review?

Please reply asap as I need to make a decision quickly.

Thanks

It may be helpful to order all 3 from Barnes and Noble and then pick which one you like better. It's all based on personal preferance, and it's difficult to say which one is best for you.