Neuroanatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdql

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be starting Neuroanatomy in a few days and I just wanted to see what everyone's advice was. I was thinking about just using the FA but apparently, that's not enough. I remember purchasing HY Neuroanatomy to use during my coursework this year. However, just casually flipping through it, it seems there's a lot of stuff in there that doesn't match up with FA.

Is it necessary to know all the little details? Or is this a low-yield subject to go through?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't taken the exam yet, so I can't comment on what is or is not high-yield. I read HY neuro (2nd ed) and I thought it was excellent...there is no way FA competes. The list of key points at the beginning of the book is a good way to figure out what is important.

FA has most of what you need to know. There was only 1 neuro question on the real thing that stumped me, and I found the answer later hidden away in HY Neuro. I had a pretty good background after TA'ing the class, so my studying was mostly FA and I skimmed parts of HY where my knowledge was weak.

HY Neuro has lots of detail, but big chunks of it never showed up on my test. Know your arterial supply, venous drainage, internal capsule/basal ganglia, stroke presentations, the basic tracts, basic dermatomes..that's the stuff I remember being most high yield.