Neurology and Couples Match Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mylaina

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding The Match process... While I am only a second year student, I am very concerned over this because my fiancee is also a medical student. We want to match in the same place...

Now, I have heard of the couples match, and I was wondering what opinions people had on that. Also, for specific to Neuro-- it's an "early match" and I understand that, but what if he wants to do a residency that doesn't do an early match? How does that work? And can you do a couples match if both people want to do neuro?

Just some questions... thanks for your time/help!
Mylaina

Members don't see this ad.

couples match does not exist for early match. for (adult) neurology you go through sfmatch, which doesn't have any mechanism for couples match w/in or between the speciaties that it represents nor the vast majority of regular match ppl.
but early match and regular match makes sense w/o the need for couples match. one partner would find out 1+3 to 7.5 years of his/her life, thus the regular match partner would only rank programs in city x, y or z.
of course that makes life complicated if you're looking for smaller medical centers. don't think those at my school that did early match had any problems.

-p

Thanks... I did find some information about the timeline of early match vs. regular match... I think that if he is considering Medicine, Pathology, and Radiology-- the hardest for him to mathc to would be radiology.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, there is a mechanism for couples latch between sfmatch and regular match candidates. It's not 100% guaranteed, but it helps. You need to contact the sfmatch program director and tell him your situation and he'll give you the details. Most department chairmen and program directors are familiar with this system, too.

gmoney

Thanks gmoney-- That gives me a lot of piece of mind. Does that work if you are both early matching too?

As far as I know, yes. However, the other early match specialties are much more competeive than neurology. So, it gets very difficult to schedule and coordinate interviews. Again, this is a question for the SFMatch director.

gmoney