Neurology board prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetsmiles9

neuron
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking for advice regarding which question bank to use for Neurology Board MOC exam.
I am debating between Beat The Boards versus Board Vitals. I've heard about Neuro Prep and True Learn as well.
It would be great if anybody could share their experience with any of these resources.
I would appreciate any help in this matter. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I'm looking for advice regarding which question bank to use for Neurology Board MOC exam.
I am debating between Beat The Boards versus Board Vitals. I've heard about Neuro Prep and True Learn as well.
It would be great if anybody could share their experience with any of these resources.
I would appreciate any help in this matter. Thanks in advance
Hello, I am using comprehensive review in clinical neurology board prep. Would you like to study together for boards? Thanks

Hi BrainMD,
How do you like the Comprehensive Review board prep? I work a crazy schedule and so studying together might not work out.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what I've done/will do:

Prior to this years RITE I did all of Cheng-Ching and made it into Anki (~1800 cards). Sometime in June I started TrueLearn which has 856 questions and just finished those making things that I felt I needed more reinforcement on into Anki (~500 cards). Now I will cycle through my cards, reset TrueLearn and do it again leading up to boards.

Im debating the utility of redoing TrueLearn vs. buying another question bank. I've also heard good things about NeuroSAE which would be free. I think there are like 16 of them all with 100 questions.

This is probably overkill but studying this stuff is really painful and I dont want to have to do it again. I think neurology boards are probably the most clinically out of touch boards with all the rarest of rare mutations, enzymes, chromosome locations to remember....don't get me started. In addition to that, the boards dont really care that even though basically everything affects the nervous system and can present with AMS etc. that doesn't mean we treat it in clinical practice. Im still here remembering the antidote to ethylene glycol poisoning is fomepizole (sounds like the territory of ED) and CMV retinitis has owls eye inclusions and is treated with ganciclovir (sounds like the territory of ID).

Reactions: 1 user

Prior to this years RITE I did all of Cheng-Ching and made it into Anki (~1800 cards). Sometime in June I started TrueLearn which has 856 questions and just finished those making things that I felt I needed more reinforcement on into Anki (~500 cards). Now I will cycle through my cards, reset TrueLearn and do it again leading up to boards.

Im debating the utility of redoing TrueLearn vs. buying another question bank. I've also heard good things about NeuroSAE which would be free. I think there are like 16 of them all with 100 questions.

This is probably overkill but studying this stuff is really painful and I dont want to have to do it again. I think neurology boards are probably the most clinically out of touch boards with all the rarest of rare mutations, enzymes, chromosome locations to remember....don't get me started. In addition to that, the boards dont really care that even though basically everything affects the nervous system and can present with AMS etc. that doesn't mean we treat it in clinical practice. Im still here remembering the antidote to ethylene glycol poisoning is fomepizole (sounds like the territory of ED) and CMV retinitis has owls eye inclusions and is treated with ganciclovir (sounds like the territory of ID).
From what my former co-residents & attendings tell me, this is overkill. Just redo TrueLearn. I head NeuroSAE was bad. I hear the test is incredibly easy unless you're incompetent.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your input. I'll look into True Learn. Any thoughts on Beat the Boards?
For my initial certification exam, I had only done the American Physician Institute online course with Qbank and I found the actual exam was very similar to it. Now the API neuro Q bank is Beat the Boards and I was wondering if it is still as good for MOC.

Last edited:
I finally bought Beat the Boards and have an Ambassador code AMB265006 which can be used to save an additional $100.

Would you mind sharing those Anki decks? Thanks!

Anyone have any experience with Nowyouknowneuro vs Truelearn vs Beat the boards? Which would you recommend (on top of Cheng-ching)? I was looking to start getting my feet wet since I take my first RITE exam later this year.

Anyone have any experience with Nowyouknowneuro vs Truelearn vs Beat the boards? Which would you recommend (on top of Cheng-ching)? I was looking to start getting my feet wet since I take my first RITE exam later this year.
I’ve been doing nowyouknowneuro since my medicine year and have loved it. Their synopsis is also helpful. Not quite like UWorld though- explanations are shorter.

Cheng-Ching is honestly the best though.

Some of my seniors have tried beat the boards, reviews have been mixed

I felt TrueLearn was better than Cheng-Ching, and I did Cheng-Ching cards daily starting halfway through PGY2. Questions were more representative of board's questions IMO.

Sorry if this is considered a necro.

Does anyone have a link for an Anki deck for Cheng-Ching? I've tried searching the internet and can't seem to find one.