Neurology chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Midnight_oil

Reaction score
- US MD at top 100 school
- Decent application in terms of research (6 pubs, 3 conferences), extracurricular and volunteering (>17 experiences)
- Honors in Neuro, Honors in Psychiatry, pretty good letters
- Absolute test-taking WRECK: (209 step 1) (211 step 2 CK) (no fails)

I've looked at all the resources, NMRP, FREIDA, RET, etc. I know numerically I should be okay if I apply broadly, but just curious about immediate reactions to my app.

For context, I'd be fine with going anywhere for residency, as long as I get a chance. I have a home institution that takes mostly FMGs (that isn't meant as any disrespect whatsoever, I mean that maybe they don't get alot of US MD interest), so I'm guessing that's my best bet, but I'd like not to be too presumptuous. Willing to apply >100 programs.

Thanks for the time.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok well, based on the fact that you will apply broadly, have research, and are MD, and that neurology isn't competitive 1 bit, you're good.

Reactions: 1 user
- US MD at top 100 school
- Decent application in terms of research (6 pubs, 3 conferences), extracurricular and volunteering (>17 experiences)
- Honors in Neuro, Honors in Psychiatry, pretty good letters
- Absolute test-taking WRECK: (209 step 1) (211 step 2 CK) (no fails)

I've looked at all the resources, NMRP, FREIDA, RET, etc. I know numerically I should be okay if I apply broadly, but just curious about immediate reactions to my app.

For context, I'd be fine with going anywhere for residency, as long as I get a chance. I have a home institution that takes mostly FMGs (that isn't meant as any disrespect whatsoever, I mean that maybe they don't get alot of US MD interest), so I'm guessing that's my best bet, but I'd like not to be too presumptuous. Willing to apply >100 programs.

Thanks for the time.
I'm applying neuro and a DO and only going to apply to 40ish. 100 is certainly not necessary unless you are dead set on the coasts or whatever. Don't fall into the overly-neurotic trap like me haha it burns ya out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok well, based on the fact that you will apply broadly, have research, and are MD, and that neurology isn't competitive 1 bit, you're good.
oh, well when you put it THAT way!

Don't fall into the overly-neurotic trap like me haha it burns ya out
I hear ya, usually not too wound up about this kinda thing, but the proximity to the app opening, plus my scores are giving me the yips.

Your chances will be even higher if you show no pride and pick programs with good training in undesirable cities.
I've never had a shred of pride, so that's perfect!

Thanks all

I think you have a decent shot at some academic places. I do not know too much about neuro for step 2 but had a few friends that matched really good places with 210s on step 1

Reactions: 1 user