Neurology Match 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody know what’s going on with Barrow/ St. Joseph’s? Has anybody gotten an interview/rejection? All I’ve received are emails every 2 weeks letting me know my file is currently with the decision team...
Yes, got a rejection a few days ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those who got interviews at MUSC, Vanderbilt, or UVA, did you guys schedule via eras/interview broker or via email?

For those who got interviews at MUSC, Vanderbilt, or UVA, did you guys schedule via eras/interview broker or via email?

UVA was via interview broker, Vanderbilt was via email. Not interviewing with MUSC, so unsure on that one.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone who has recently interviewed at Drexel write about their experiences (PM if you feel more comfortable). Thank you!

Hi. Would anybody want to switch their interview date at Augusta University with me? I'm scheduled December 14 and need Jan 11

Hi. Would anybody want to switch their interview date at Augusta University with me? I'm scheduled December 14 and need Jan 11
That would be perfect for me! I was going to email them to change my January 11th date

I have created a thread for 2018 Neurology Interview Impressions.

Hi guys, how does everyone go about canceling interviews? I'm planning on just sending an email and saying something like "I appreciate the invitation but due to various reasons I have decided to cancel this interview. Thank you for your consideration" or something like that. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I wanted to see if anyone interviewing at Northwestern would be interested in switching dates with me. My date is currently on 12/14. I'm looking to see if I can switch to a later date on 1/4 or 1/11. PM if interested.

I am currently scheduled for 1/11 at Northwestern. I am looking to change to the 12/21 date. I know you are scheduled for 12/14 and not 12/21 but is there someone out there with the 12/21 date that could facilitate a three way swap? PM if interested

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to switch:
1) Pitt from 12/14 to either 12/15 or 01/15.
2) Georgetown from 12/08 to either 01/11 or 01/18.

PLEASE let me know!

Hi guys, how does everyone go about canceling interviews? I'm planning on just sending an email and saying something like "I appreciate the invitation but due to various reasons I have decided to cancel this interview. Thank you for your consideration" or something like that. Thoughts?

I've cancelled 6 or 7 so far and thats basically what I do. As long as you're very polite in the email, you'll be fine. I sometimes say my current rotation schedule only allows me to miss a certain number of days, or I just don't give a specific reason. I always say I hope the spot is able to go to someone else.

I think the biggest thing is to give enough lead time - 2 weeks is my minimum, ideally 3. I know people who have cancelled 1 week before without any repercussions, but that makes me nervous.

Reactions: 1 users
I am currently scheduled for 1/11 at Northwestern. I am looking to change to the 12/21 date. I know you are scheduled for 12/14 and not 12/21 but is there someone out there with the 12/21 date that could facilitate a three way swap? PM if interested

Yes this would be very much appreciated!

Just canceled Jackson Health/UM. If anyone is trying to get in there for an interview, now would be a good time to send an email! ;)

Yes this would be very much appreciated!
I hate to post about this again, but is anyone who has an interview scheduled for Northwestern on 12/21 planning on canceling or rescheduling? Thank you!

Does anyone know how postponing CS until january will affect my match in neuro. AMG. Interviewed at BID, Jefferson, Mount Sinai, NYU, and a nuber of other places . Plane got cancelled. Couldn't get to test site in time. Now I'm worried sick.

Does anyone know how postponing CS until january will affect my match in neuro. AMG. Interviewed at BID, Jefferson, Mount Sinai, NYU, and a nuber of other places . Plane got cancelled. Couldn't get to test site in time. Now I'm worried sick.

I think this is one of those questions that's really hard to answer, and probably worth talking to your Dean and Neuro advisor tomorrow/soon to discuss what you should do. I've heard of people never bringing up not having a CS score in time for rank lists and never being asked about them, and they matched at their #1. However, I've also heard of people dropping down their list further than they expected when they did not have CS scores in time for ranking. I imagine it's very program dependent.

I could be wrong, but you'll probably be fine. Sounds like you have a solid application with good board scores and letters, so a program would have no reason to think you're at risk of failing CS, although its weird that you waited so long. If I were a program and wanted to rank you to match, I would just do it. What AMG fails CS? Unheard of.

I could be wrong, but you'll probably be fine. Sounds like you have a solid application with good board scores and letters, so a program would have no reason to think you're at risk of failing CS, although its weird that you waited so long. If I were a program and wanted to rank you to match, I would just do it. What AMG fails CS? Unheard of.

Precisely because of your attitude - NBME raised the passing bar for CS so 7-8% of all US MDs fail on 1st attempt.

Precisely because of your attitude - NBME raised the passing bar for CS so 7-8% of all US MDs fail on 1st attempt.

Didn't realize I had an attitude about it, just pointing out how rare it is for an AMG to fail CS. According to the NBME bulletin,

"If the new minimum passing requirements were applied to the group of first-time examinees who recently tested, the overall passing rate for examinees from US medical schools would be approximately three percent lower and the overall passing rate for examinees from international medical schools would be approximately eight percent lower."

It's still an easy test, but who who knows - If OP has strong interviews, those programs probably have lots of people they can rank higher that already have a score. Advisors/deans/PDs would be the only people who know for sure.

You should contact the schools themselves, I think. Especially since a lot of schools are now saying they require passing CS scores (from all applicants) for ranking eligibility. You should be able to find that info on the school websites as to whether or not they require all passing scores before ranking.

Has anyone gotten any interview invites lately? Or should we assume that the season is now done?

Has anyone gotten any interview invites lately? Or should we assume that the season is now done?
I know of one person that got an invite from a TX program two weeks ago. Another got a University if California invite a week ago. But for the most part, the interview season is over

any thought on letters of intent?
is this the proper time or is it late?
and do directors usually reply to those?

love letters

Also, I've come to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter nearly as much as we think or like it to matter. We might think it is a big deal, but really each program interviews about 100 people each year. And many applicants have sent a similar email saying "you're such a great program, i'd love to come here, blah blah blah", so 1/25 (rough minimal estimate) emails saying that means nothing. And the value of such emails decreases when more of the similar emails are sent. And then you take into consideration of all of other emails sent from past years, and you reach the conclusion that letter of interest emails mean diddly squat and might annoy if anything. "You're first" letters saying you're going to rank them first might mean something if the program hasn't been burned by such letters in the past. Again, it might also hurt you. They might think back to a similar candidate like you whom they really liked in the past and told the program they would rank them 1, and then end up not, and now if you say you're going to rank them 1 you might remind them of that person. I think the safe bet is if they reach out to you, then respond back saying you really liked them. If they haven't reached out to you yet, don't initiate.
tl;dr- it doesn't really matter...

love letters

Also, I've come to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter nearly as much as we think or like it to matter. We might think it is a big deal, but really each program interviews about 100 people each year. And many applicants have sent a similar email saying "you're such a great program, i'd love to come here, blah blah blah", so 1/25 (rough minimal estimate) emails saying that means nothing. And the value of such emails decreases when more of the similar emails are sent. And then you take into consideration of all of other emails sent from past years, and you reach the conclusion that letter of interest emails mean diddly squat and might annoy if anything. "You're first" letters saying you're going to rank them first might mean something if the program hasn't been burned by such letters in the past. Again, it might also hurt you. They might think back to a similar candidate like you whom they really liked in the past and told the program they would rank them 1, and then end up not, and now if you say you're going to rank them 1 you might remind them of that person. I think the safe bet is if they reach out to you, then respond back saying you really liked them. If they haven't reached out to you yet, don't initiate.
tl;dr- it doesn't really matter...

it does matter. Programs prefer assured matches. So if you tell them they are no.1, given they liked u in the IV, they would remember that when they are ranking.
if u dont send they might think you wouldnt rank them highly.

it does matter. Programs prefer assured matches. So if you tell them they are no.1, given they liked u in the IV, they would remember that when they are ranking.
if u dont send they might think you wouldnt rank them highly.

Maybe at some places. I know several of the top tier programs purposely ignore them and build the rank list to get the class THEY want the best. No one is going to stop interviewing at JHU because they didn't fill until their #29 rank one year. Also, people lie a lot more than you might think, so why base a decision on inaccurate data?

Thank you for the information, well it is a great list.

3 more days till we find out that we are going to be neurologists!

It’s been a great journey. Good luck to all.

Reactions: 7 users
Better yet: please post in the 2018 reddit match survey

Hello, guys! Did anyone had an interview at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Program at Lubbock, TX? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!