Neurology Outpatient Practice Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deeply Superficial

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am a medical student interested in purely outpatient neurology practice (I want a Mon-Fri 9-5 lifestyle). My understanding is that this isn't very lucrative but one can make decent money by adding EEGs/EMGs to outpatient practice. I was wondering if fellowship training is required for that or will a regular neurology residency program provide me enough training?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's not that difficult to make high 200s to low 300s starting out in an outpatient set up in most places. Depending on how efficient you are and your procedure mix (Botox, EMG, EEG), you can get into the mid 300s and beyond once you get your practice established. This would be for non-academic jobs.

You don't need a fellowship to practice outpatient general neuro. If you want to be marketable to larger groups and want to gain more proficiency in a procedure like EMG then you should do a fellowship. Something like 90% of graduating residents pursue fellowship.

Neurology is not the highest paying area of medicine, but it's certainly not the lowest. Doing something you will enjoy doing and learning about for the rest of your career should trump salary considerations.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello

I am a medical student interested in purely outpatient neurology practice (I want a Mon-Fri 9-5 lifestyle). My understanding is that this isn't very lucrative but one can make decent money by adding EMGs to outpatient practice. I was wondering if fellowship training is required for that or will a regular neurology residency program provide me enough training to run
Your understanding is wrong. Outpatient can be very lucrative. Volume and procedures. Sure, if you run an alzheimer clinic, and see only 10 patients a day, you won't be making the big bucks. However, the PP neurologists I personally know, who efficiently see 25+ pts a day and/or do EEG's/EMG's/injections are making 150%+ MGMA average for neurology.

Traditionally, a combined CNP fellowship where you get EMG and EEG training has been the most useful training for someone interested in doing private practice general neurology. However, there's a growing trend where one will need to choose either EEG/epilepsy or EMG/neuromuscular. My guess is that by the time you're at the level of applying to fellowships, there won't be any mixed pathway programs available.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello

I am a medical student interested in purely outpatient neurology practice (I want a Mon-Fri 9-5 lifestyle). My understanding is that this isn't very lucrative but one can make decent money by adding EEGs/EMGs to outpatient practice. I was wondering if fellowship training is required for that or will a regular neurology residency program provide me enough training?

Thanks in advance.

Agree with above. Many Non academic outpatient neurologists are making >400-500k . Most pp outpatient job offers start at 300k for a 4 or 4.5 day work week, with 4-6 weeks PTO. In general, if you are seeing 10-12 new and 10-12 f/u patients, you can expect to get about $2000- 2500/day.

Fellowship training is not required. I think most good residencies will prepare one for a general outpatient practice.
You could consider fellowship in a field which you won't get enough exposure in residency. CNP, Sleep, Epilepsy, Neuromuscular, Movement are good fellowships to consider for outpatient practice.

Agree with above. Many Non academic outpatient neurologists are making >400-500k . Most pp outpatient job offers start at 300k for a 4 or 4.5 day work week, with 4-6 weeks PTO. In general, if you are seeing 10-12 new and 10-12 f/u patients, you can expect to get about $2000- 2500/day.

Fellowship training is not required. I think most good residencies will prepare one for a general outpatient practice.
You could consider fellowship in a field which you won't get enough exposure in residency. CNP, Sleep, Epilepsy, Neuromuscular, Movement are good fellowships to consider for outpatient practice.

2000 a day of collection (total RVU) or take home (wRVU)?

2000 a day of collection (total RVU) or take home (wRVU)?

Take home (wRVU); this approximate calculation is based on an average conversion of $50 per RVU. Many employed positions will pay upto $55-$60/RVU.

Reactions: 1 user