neurology programs in nyc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gbigdawg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

all systems are go in terms of my decision to enter the field of neurology... i was wondering if someone could rank the programs in nyc and surrounding (brooklyn, bronx, etc) for me based on which programs offer the best clinical training...which is not necessarily synonymous w/research opportunities from my understanding...

i will be a US grad from robert wood johnson (in new jersey) but i barely passed step 1 and did not pass my surgery and psych clerkships because i failed the shelves...i take full responsibility for this but i probably should have taken time off because i was going through a very turbulent time...besides those 2 clerkships, i've high-passed the remaining clerkships and plan on taking step 2 early...i'm also doing research this summer w/a potential publication in the works (keeping my fingers crossed)....what programs am i a decent candidate for? what other steps should i take? i'm trying to figure out where I should do an away "audition" elective so any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

I only know of 2: Columbia and NYU.

Columbia is one of the more competitive programs to get into. It might be more difficult to get into this program just based on your stats. But you never really know.

As for NYU, I did think it was a decent enough place to do your residency. The residents seemed rather happy and were gloating about the fact that one of them was headed to UCSF for a stroke fellowship. But I got a very bad impression of them when I did my prelim interview there. Pretty much the medicine residents thought the neuro residents to be sub-par (but that was the opinion of 2 med. residents). Also not sure I like their private hospital, where my understanding is that they can't write orders (the private attendings do, you're just there as their little b*tch).

As for the other programs, I never interviewed there and know nothing of them! Try doing a search of NYC programs. I think there are several threads about them.