Neurology Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPuck

Made
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I will be starting med-school this fall at UIC, and have an early question about neurology residencies. As I have read, neurology is not the most competitive residency to match, however, I refuse to take that for granted. I am very interested in neurology perhaps ped neurology and I would really like to be out East preferrably at Brown (RI) or the Boston area, where I am originally from, in order to be close to all of my family. What kind of things would make me a viable candidate for a program like Brown, Tufts, or BU. I assume these programs are excellent based on their reputations as great medical schools/ hospitals. I have done extensive searches and I cannot tell which programs are more competitive than others. Hopefully some of you have some insight about these programs or neurology in general, and any comments are welcome.

Also, note I am just trying to gather information, I realize I haven't started med-school yet! ;) Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're considering programs in Boston, you should really add MGH to your list as well. The program is extremely competitive, but the education is second to none.

Reactions: 1 user
Tofu: Thanks for the suggestion. Does anyone else have any additional information?

Members don't see this ad :)
Brown should be fairly easy to match into if you really want it. They've remained unfilled over the last several years after the January Match. I've heard some not so great things about it, which is probably why they don't fill.

In Boston, the Partners Prog (Mass Gen and Brighams) is quite competitive like all Harvard programs. Beth Israel a little less competitive but still competitive. And then there's BU and Tufts which are there if you want them.

While at UIC, you ought to talk to Dr. Hier - the chair for the dept of neurology. He's a Harvard guy - (undergrad through residency) and enjoys talking to students interested in neurology. I would also suggest shadowing the neurologists over at Rush Medical College which is across the street. They have the best neuro program in Chicago and I've heard the teaching is excellent.

Good luck at UIC. You are in for a rough ride. Remember it's all about the review books, the co-ops, and the TLEs.

So Pinky, what makes one competitve to get into these so called "competitvie programs". I know my school the average borad score for entering neurlogy resident is about 210, which is kinda low compared to other specialties. I know many programs have disproportionate numbers of MD/PhD's, given neurology is a research-driven field. For these competitive programs, what kind of people would stand out above others? 240+ step 1 scores? >10 peer reviewed publications? great connection with dept. chairs? Away rotation at these sites?

to Kasimagore

yes to all the above.

why should neurology be different from any other specialty? the top programs in any field will always be competitive to get into. you may not need to excel in everything (i.e. board scores, research, connections) but every little thing you do well increases your chances of getting what you want. just like everything else in life.