Neurology residency application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Giovanotto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that you have to do a PGY1 year in IM before applying to most neurology programs, correct? What percentage of these programs are this way versus 4 year integrated ones, and how can I tell on FREIDA (i.e. do I look at how many years the program is, 3 vs 4-is that it?) ? On FREIDA or elsewhere, does that mean that I am looking for 1-year transitional programs, and then during that year I have to apply to neurology programs? If someone could clarify this for me that would be great.

Somewhat-related question to a select few that might be able to answer this: Why do some transitional year programs not take on F-1 visa OPT students? It costs the program nothing, is barely a hassle (paperwork wise), and makes perfect sense to students needing a visa. Really confused about this one, seems more of a political decision than an administrative one.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you apply to both via ERAS

At least, some of the prelim im residents at my program matched with us for PGY1 and also matched at their categorical neuro programs PGY2-4. This would mean interviewing and ranking preliminary and/or transitional year programs, in addition to categorical neuro progs

As for your other question, no clue.

edit: are you US MD/DO or iMG? FMG?

Reactions: 1 user
Vast majority of neurology programs are categorical, meaning they provide the internship. About half of the rest are advanced programs that guarantee you the prelim yeah with their in-house IM department. The minority of the programs are pure advanced and you’d need to secure your own prelim medicine year.

FREIDA is the best way to find out. You could see if the program is 3 vs 4 years, and this should hint you if the program categorical vs advanced. Another way is to go on the website of each program and see.

You apply to both the prelim and advanced positions simultaneously. Your primary rank list will consist of the neurology programs. Under each neurology program, you create a secondary list and rank corresponding prelim medicine years. When match happens, the system will attempt to match you based on your primary list first. If you happen to match an advanced neurology program, the program proceeds to match you at a prelim spot based on the corresponding secondary list.

No clue regarding your other q

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Btw, neurology has strict requirements for the internship year and most transitional year programs don’t qualify. You need to have 8 months dedicated to IM, of which, 6 have to be IM wards.

I’d only focus on prelim medicine positions for neurology.

Vast majority of neurology programs are categorical, meaning they provide the internship. About half of the rest are advanced programs that guarantee you the prelim yeah with their in-house IM department. The minority of the programs are pure advanced and you’d need to secure your own prelim medicine year.

FREIDA is the best way to find out. You could see if the program is 3 vs 4 years, and this should hint you if the program categorical vs advanced. Another way is to go on the website of each program and see.

You apply to both the prelim and advanced positions simultaneously. Your primary rank list will consist of the neurology programs. Under each neurology program, you create a secondary list and rank corresponding prelim medicine years. When match happens, the system will attempt to match you based on your primary list first. If you happen to match an advanced neurology program, the program proceeds to match you at a prelim spot based on the corresponding secondary list.

No clue regarding your other q
This (bolded) is only if I decide to apply to the small % of programs that aren't categorical or advanced that guarantee you the prelim year, correct?

This (bolded) is only if I decide to apply to the small % of programs that aren't categorical or advanced that guarantee you the prelim year, correct?
Half correct.

For categoricals, no need to apply for prelims. For advanced, whether they guarantee the prelim or not, you still need to apply to prelim. Example is UCI. It’s an advanced program that guarantees that you do the prelim year in their IM department if you match neurology there. When you rank them, you would create a secondary list under UCI and add the code for the prelim spot that is reserved for neurology. All this information will be more clear and make more sense after interviewing. On interview days, they explain this process to the applicants.