Neurology Residency Preparation - most important factors to consider.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyneuron

cyneuron
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

As the title suggests, i ( an IMG, passed medical school, passed Step 1 & CS, currently learning Neurology in clinics & doing clinical research in my country, to give CK and Step 3 in next 9 months, to apply next year) would like to get inputs from people (who have been good & helpful here in this forum) on various factors (for IMG's or non-IMG) that are most important, specifically in order of importance, for a good application to Neurology residency.

I would start with (in order) -

1. Scores (step 1, 2, 3 - any particular order. Any good cut-offs or range.)
(Not including CS as its Yes or No, and these days first time Pass CS clearly matters a lot.)

2. US Clinical Experience (Clerkship > Externship > Observership) - Neurology, IM.

3. Letter of Recommendations

4. Interview

5. Clinical Research & Papers

6. Foreign Clinical Experience in Neurology (for IMG's)

I understand that there can not be such specific order (its all individual experiences) and answers to above can be very subjective and will very from person to person. But i think that is the most important part of asking this question like this here. Individual personal subjective experiences & opinions of different people when seen together can help a lot to a person starting on the path you guys have already traveled.

Thanks a lot in advance for your inputs. Elaborate subjective opinions will be of great help in addition to straight forward views.

I hope your answers will help me a lot many people (both, IMG's & non-IMG's) in addition to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user