Neurology Residency??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pep45

pep45
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere but I was just hoping to find out about the typical day of neurology residency. Are most programs adherent to the 80 hour work week? My school does not have a Neuro program so this is really my only resource thus far to find out about things. I imagine that it is very similar to the life of an internal medicine resident as far as hours and all the conferences and stuff like that. If anyone could lay out a typical day or week their respective PGY it would be awesome!!!
Thanks
MSIII

Members don't see this ad.

At my program (where I did my neuro Sub-I), I usually went and quickly prerounded (at least got labs and saw the notes from other services) starting at about 6:30. We had sign-ins @7-8, when we went over the admits/consults from overnight and when a good bit of teaching takes place, esp. about diff dx and neuroradiology. Then I usually finished up whatever stuff I hadn't done from about 8-9 (any notes that I did not finish, I would work on during the later rounds). At 9, the attending's rounds started, and we rounded till about 12:30, would break for lunch, and then reconvene at 1 or so. During this time, we would see the old patients, as well as the old consults and any new consults which came up during the day. The attendings usually like to go through a brief interview and then go through the whole neuro exam to teach the students and interns. We had sign-outs to the nightfloat resident @ about 5.

Variations on this above theme included weekly Grand Rounds, which usually reduced morning sign-ins to 30mins, Thurs morning neuroanatomy lecture which took the place of sign-ins, and then the basic science lectures each Friday from 3-5.

I am in the same boat as PEP and would really appreciate feedback as well. How busy and stressful are neurology residencies? How are the attendings/ other residents? What are the call schedules typically like? I have heard Neurology is a little busier than internal med, is this true?

Neurology is awesome. I would really like to do it, but I don't know if I can handle the hours while having time for my family. I'm considering PM&R as well as an alternative. I love both in similar and different ways, but I think that there are more opportunities in neuro, and I would love to hear that the residency isn't a killer.

I would really appreciate any feedback. Feel free to PM me. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
:( neuro is busier than IM? first time I heard of it.
Most of the neurologist I worked with have a very good lifestyle.

From what I've been told on the interview trail, the average neurology residency tends to be much more benign than the average internal medicine residency.

Floor months with overnight call (which is often Q5 or Q6) are often front-loaded into your first year of neuro. Second and Third year tend to be better, with most of Third year filled with elective time.

Generally speaking, the first year in neurology is the toughest. But from what I can tell, it is always better than your average intern medicine year (usually Q4 overnight) so neuro residency is almost certainly going to be an improvement.

Unfortunately, speaking in averages is not particularly useful for the dude/dudette that matches into a program where they have to work their buns off.

Just as there are differing intensities of preliminary years, there are differing intensities of neurology residencies. In an additional layer of complexity, each year of neurology residency has a different intensity level, and it isn't always easier as your PGY number goes up.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that because there is so much variability in the clinical experience of neurology residency, it is hard to glean much information by looking at a "typical day". I would recommend rotating as much as you can, since you don't have a program at your institution, to get a feel for what neuro residency is like at a few places that you would consider doing your residency. Ask around about specific programs, and keep your eyes open.

Remember that after you finish your prelim year, your fellow IM interns are getting ready to be ward seniors and take electives and whatnot, and you are getting ready for...another internship. My neurology junior year was as challenging and intense as my intern year, or perhaps a bit more intense. The difference is that when I was performing a paracentesis as an intern, I would have rather been anywhere else, whereas when I was a junior taking care of stroke patients with BP-dependent exams, I was doing exactly what I wanted to be doing. When you are finally doing what you want, even hard work seems like much less of a hassle.

excellent post typhoon. Thanks for the insight!!:cool: