Neurology rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mesalamineman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to be doing rotations this summer at Mayo-Rochester and at Columbia NY. Is there any advice people can give me to prepare for these places? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm going to be doing rotations this summer at Mayo-Rochester and at Columbia NY. Is there any advice people can give me to prepare for these places? Thanks.

Mayo:
Wear a suit (not kidding . . . )
Work hard
Know about zebra autoimmune conditions, paraneoplastic syndromes, the FOUR score, and the Olmstead County Database.
Learn to speak Minnysooohtahn.
Be glad you're there in summer and not winter (when you'd be freezing your a$$ off in the lovely MN winter . . .)
Wish you had less time off because there's not much to do in Rochester . . . but at least it's cheap to live there!

Columbia:
Wear a bulletproof vest (just kidding . . . )
Work hard
Know about HIV dementia, neurologic associations of substance abuse, neurotrauma, and the Northern Manhattan Study.
Learn to speak Spanglish
Wish you were there in winter instead of summer (when you'll be sweating like a pig in the humid NYC summer . . . )
Wish you had more time off because there's so much to do in NY . . . but you can't afford any of it!

Best of luck. Both great programs but somewhat, ummm, "different" in terms of location and culture . . . :laugh: