• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

medhearter

10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I was wondering if you could possibly share some of your advice as to how difficult it could potentially be for me as an international student to apply to residency positions, and shed some light on how Wayne grads are viewed, with, say, Ivy-leaguers. Would I be at any disadvantage? If I do well during school and on my USMLEs, will I not be considered in exactly the same boat?

Last edited:

masterofmonkeys

Angy Old Man
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Neurology is not a terribly competitive field. You're going to have more difficulty getting into name schools for residency if you don't go to a name school, but that's a given no matter how uncompetitive a specialty is.

At the end of the day, how you do comes down to boards, clinicals, letters of rec, grades and research, probably in that order.

I'm not sure if Canadians need visas or not, but either way, I don't think your particular nationality, as an american grad, would be much of a barrier, if any.

About the Ads