Neuropsych. Internship Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1003601

I am in the process of applying for internship this November, however, I had a question regarding preparing myself to be a neuropsychologist. I have considered applying to some university counseling center internship programs that have no "major" rotation in neuropsychology (most do not). Would this set me up poorly or a neuropsychology post-doc? I have many other aspects in my background that support my goal to become a neuro-rehabilitation psychologist, but I wonder what would happen (if anything) if I applied for an attended an internship at a university counseling center.

Members don't see this ad.

My knee-jerk reaction: I think it would make you less competitive, yes. Not solely due to the lack of a major neuropsych focus/rotation (although with postdocs becoming more competitive, that will probably be more of a sticking point going forward), but because it is in an inherently less-"neuro" setting vs. something like an academic medical center or VA hospital.

Reactions: 1 user
My knee-jerk reaction: I think it would make you less competitive, yes. Not solely due to the lack of a major neuropsych focus/rotation (although with postdocs becoming more competitive, that will probably be more of a sticking point going forward), but because it is in an inherently less-"neuro" setting vs. something like an academic medical center or VA hospital.

These were my thoughts exactly. It was just a curiosity I had, so, thank you for your feedback.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious about what's making you lean towards applying to some UCC internships, if you're interested in neuropsychology? If it's the idea that UCCs are less competitive, I don't know how much truth there is to that. If you don't have prior UCC experience, you probably wouldn't be seen as a good fit.

On the other hand, if it's location, you have to do what's best for your situation.