Neuropsych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gabby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious why there aren't any fellowships listed for neuropsych on Freida. I know they exist and a Google search turned up a few, but there are a couple I've heard about that didn't turn up on Google. Freida doesn't have neuropsych or behavioral neurology. Are these relatively new fields? If so, is there any advice anyone can give me about them? I'm a third year and am very interested in both psych and neurology.

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious why there aren't any fellowships listed for neuropsych on Freida. I know they exist and a Google search turned up a few, but there are a couple I've heard about that didn't turn up on Google. Freida doesn't have neuropsych or behavioral neurology. Are these relatively new fields? If so, is there any advice anyone can give me about them? I'm a third year and am very interested in both psych and neurology.

I suspect it has to do with the fact that Freida lists ACGME approved programs/fellowships. Neuropsych and behavioral neurology are not ACGME approved to my knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just wondering, what you can do after this fellowship? Type of practice? Demand?

I think this has been discussed before. Even if it hasn't been recognized by the ACGME, this fellowship, which actually "combines" both neuropsychiatry and behavioral neurology (whether they were ever conceptually separate is a different question), is accredited by the United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties.

http://www.ucns.org/go/subspecialty/behavioral

I think the lack of recognition by ACGME might result in no additional compensation above general psychiatry or neurology, depending on your primary specialty. Money matters aside, this looks like a very cool training path!

I'm just wondering, what you can do after this fellowship? Type of practice? Demand?

There's a growing population of people surviving TBIs. One could specialize in this. The population usually is with the VA though there certainly are others outside that system. One could also be a court-expert-witness and testity in TBI cases.

There is a demand, but the people have to know you're available because the population is so highly specialized. If one got training in this area, I'd recommend they'd send out a business card and letter explaining your expertise to pretty much everyone in the local area including the VA, hospitals, physical therapy centers, and lawyers.