neuropsychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bosky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me neuropsychiatry residencies or suggest some good sources of information. What do these people do, what are the advantages to this perspective? Etc...I searched for previous threads with that word to no avail. I'm personally very interested in research.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a recent article from the Psychiatric Times

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/p040872.html

I have interacted (professionally) a couple of times with docs who were either double boarded in Neuro and Psych., and also one doc who was a neurologist but working in a Neuropsych. Clinic in Cleveland (to whom I referred several patients for consults). There aren't too many around in the day-to-day clinical practice, most tend to be affiliated with academic centers and get to see patients with complicated co-morbidities (neuro and psych.), consult on fine-tuning neuro +psych. meds, etc. I don't think there are any accredited "neuropsychiatry" residencies, but there are several post-residency fellowships in "behavioral neurology" or "neuropsychiatry".

Here's the journal of Neuropsychiatry
http://neuro.psychiatryonline.org/
and the American Assoc. of Neuropsychiatry http://www.anpaonline.org/ which can offer further info re. research, fellowships, training oppts., etc.

There are neuropsychiatry residencies, although they are becoming less and less. Some have lost accredidation due to the seeming lack of integration of the two fields, as opposed to simply being double boarded in neuro and psychiatry.

The remaining programs are:
Univ. of Arizona
Univ. of Miami-Jackson Memorial
Indiana Univ.
Tulane
Univ. of Mass.
NY Presbyterian Hosp (of Columbia)
NYU
Brown
West Virginia Univ.

I very strongly considered entering a neuropsych program, but ultimately decided against it for a variety of reasons...mostly the time factor. It's significantly longer than either psych or neuro alone, and while I feel that the added knowledge is wonderful in your approach to patients, I simply had to make the decision to be a psychiatrist with a strong background in neurology. As a psychiatrist, you are boarded in neurology, but should generally not be treating stand-alone seizure disorders, etc. You can treat neurological problems in the context of psychiatry, but must decide if the added education is what you want. In working with a few neuropsychiatrists, I've heard mixed reviews, about half said to do it, the other half said it wasn't necessary unless you had a burning desire to see stroke, seizure, syncope, neuropathic pain, musculo disorders, etc. You can make significantly more money if you slanted your practice that way, but there are great ways to make money in psychiatry as well.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard from quite a few residents that in todays managed care a future doc should find his niche within his specialty, in doing so you are likely to make more money. I am wondering if there is a niche for neuropsychiatry. I would think neuropsychiatry would be a booming field in the future.

Trowell said:
I have heard from quite a few residents that in todays managed care a future doc should find his niche within his specialty, in doing so you are likely to make more money. I am wondering if there is a niche for neuropsychiatry. I would think neuropsychiatry would be a booming field in the future.

It really makes a difference what the OP means by "neuropsychiatry"...

...if he/she truly means "double boarded in neurology and psychiatry"--then I'm not sure they'll necessarily find that it's worth the extra year, unless they want to get seriously entrepenurial and enter a private practice where they're actively seeking the really tough chronic pain/migraine/seizure vs.psuedoseizure/dementia/post-TBI kinds of patients. Even so, they're not likely to get reimbursed extra for their trouble by an insurance company.

...if they mean, "I want a psychiatry residency where the brain is taken seriously as the affected organ system in psychiatry", then just about any major academic-center-based program will fit the bill, and you'll have opportunities for brain-based research if you want them, whether you're interested in imaging live patients or doing molecular genetics--and you'll minimize the number of nights you spend on call managing strokes in the neuro ICU.