Neurorad for Opthalmology or Derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenFelson

Attending Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a Dermatology or Opthalmology spot to begin anytime. Please pm me if you have any information. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering.. why? I'm ophtho, and if you're switching because the reimbursements to rads is getting cut then the reimbursements to ophtho are also getting cut, have been getting cut for a longer time, and are still much lower than rads. Cataract surgery reimbursement (our main procedure) has gone down from about $2500 in 1990 to $600 now. If you're worried about job prospects, the prospects aren't much better in ophtho unless you move to a rural area; you'll often still need a fellowship in ophtho to get a decent job. In terms of work hours, you'll be surprised at how hard ophtho residents and fellows at large trauma hospitals need to work; attendings may have it easier (I hope).

What's wrong with rads? IR and Mammo seem to still have a decent job market; much higher pay than ophtho; and if you're looking for patient interaction, they have that too.

Just wondering.. why? I'm ophtho, and if you're switching because the reimbursements to rads is getting cut then the reimbursements to ophtho are also getting cut, have been getting cut for a longer time, and are still much lower than rads. Cataract surgery reimbursement (our main procedure) has gone down from about $2500 in 1990 to $600 now. If you're worried about job prospects, the prospects aren't much better in ophtho unless you move to a rural area; you'll often still need a fellowship in ophtho to get a decent job. In terms of work hours, you'll be surprised at how hard ophtho residents and fellows at large trauma hospitals need to work; attendings may have it easier (I hope).

What's wrong with rads? IR and Mammo seem to still have a decent job market; much higher pay than ophtho; and if you're looking for patient interaction, they have that too.

Because the grass is always greener. :) The idea that any specialty but the one you are going into is somehow better, higher paying and works less, while in reality, all medical specialties have good and bad.