Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Neuroradiology

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by RALMD, Dec 29, 2008.

1. RALMD

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi.

I've done a bit of research and have decided I want to become and osteopathic physician; however, I want to specialize in neuroradiology. Can someone, anyone, give me the 'run-down' as to what route would be taken to accomplish this goal. Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dissected

Dissected All bleeding stops eventually
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What everyone else does. Get in. Go to school. Study for boards (extra effort in your case). go on clinicals. apply for your residencies of choice. hope and pray you get in.

You will need to shoot for matching radiology, and doing a fellowship in neuroradiology after that. It is hard for anyone to match into something like that, so don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Work hard and you could get there!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 Dissected, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  3. TexasTriathlete

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Phase 1: go to osteopahthic medical school
    Phase 2: apply to radiology program OR combined neuroradiology program
    Phase 3: match at one of the programs from phase 2. If you match at a combined neuroradiology program, you may skip Phase 4 and 5
    Phase 4: apply to neuroradiology fellowship program, upon completion of radiology residency
    Phase 5: be accepted at fellowship from Phase 4
    Phase 6: complete neuroradiology program
    Phase 7: complete required licensing procedures for the field of neuroradiology
    Phase 8: profit

4. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    1. Get into med school.
    2a. Most likely change your mind about what you want to specialize in, once you hit the wards 3rd year.
    2b. Whether or not you change your mind, get killer grades and board scores.
    3. Focus on ACGME residencies since there aren't any AOA-sponsored neurorad fellowships, which means you need to take USMLE boards as well as required COMLEX boards, and you need to do audition rotations at ACGME programs during 4th year. Or roll the dice and do an AOA rads residency.
    4. Compete for an ACGME diagnostic radiology residency.
    5. Compete for a neurorad fellowship.

5. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I find it kind of funny how people know they want to be some highly specialized field before they even start medical school. Anyway, what everyone else said...

6. BCLumas

BCLumas Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You've done research on Osteopathy, enough to help you decide that Osteopathy is more in-tune with your approach to medicine, but you do not know how you would be able to attain your goals? Sorry if this sounds a bit insensitive, but I just have this sense of irritation when I see "is it possible for me to get a [insert extremely completely competitive specialty here] spot as a DO? If so, please tell me how to do it."

7. goosedander

2+ Year Member

Hold your horses. So you want to become an osteopathic physician huh? I hope you don't plan on practicing Neuroradiology in Bolivia.

8. Dissected

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    many people simply have no idea even though it may seem like a silly question to you. DO students can obviously match rads, you know that, but its silly to assume all pre-meds do.

and thats why he's here, to ask questions. I can remember a time when I had no clue what was going on. This site is a great way learn a little about how things work, even though advice is always objective and not always exactly correct, he know knows at least the ballpark of how things progress if he wants to pursue this field. did he say his mind was made up? no. will he change his mind? maybe. I feel like this should be a place where questions should be able to be answered, even if they sound like no-brainers to med students like you. lighten up!

wha..:confused:

9. TexasTriathlete

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    BCLumas: I think that most of the people who come here asking those questions are under the impression that MD schools are handing out rads and derm residencies at orientation, like with a goodie-bag.

10. TexasTriathlete

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    BCLumas: I think that most of the people who come here asking those questions are under the impression that MD schools are handing out rads and derm residencies at orientation, like with a goodie-bag.

11. Dissected

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :laugh:

12. JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Duhh ... they do. The only thing you are responsible for is using google maps to find the nearest integrated plastics residency to the school and showing up your first day.

13. Chocolate Bear

Chocolate Bear Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Really? Sah-weet!! :rolleyes:

14. JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yup it's fact. I've worked over SIX hours in an ER and spoken with more than TWO doctors (one of which is my uncle, a radiologist) and all these signs confirmed that this is what the MD grants ...

15. MossPoh

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey, they couldn't give rads residencies away in the 60s. My dad was ridiculed by some of his classmates for going into it. Worked out ok for him...and me. (My mom was an xray tech)

16. JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I heard a gas attending on SDN one time saying how bad he wanted to do FM or IM (don't remember which, but a PCP field) in the 70s or maybe 80s, but they were competitive back then and he went gas instead ... I guess he's fairly content with his decision today.

17. MossPoh

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yea, my dad was 3rd in his class, AOA...all that crap. They thought he was wasting his talent. :p