Neuroscience AECOM vs. MSSM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatOne

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any input on comparing the neuro research quality at Albert Einstein and Mount Sinai? There are researchers and ongoing work that I like at both institutions, but I'm having a little trouble deciding between them. Other input about pros and cons at each is welcome if you'd like, but research quality is one of the most important factors for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I liked the research at MSSM more personally. What area of neuroscience are you interested in? I thought the neurogenetics/psychaitric genetics was very interesting at MSSM. Also I really like their loacation, but I'm biased ;-)

I'm open-ended right now. I've done mostly cellular/morphological stuff. Physiology and genetics are on my list to pick up more of.

The location is pretty sweet, with Central Park right across the street and all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any input on comparing the neuro research quality at Albert Einstein and Mount Sinai? There are researchers and ongoing work that I like at both institutions, but I'm having a little trouble deciding between them. Other input about pros and cons at each is welcome if you'd like, but research quality is one of the most important factors for me.

I've seen both institutions and many others with an eye toward this field and am quite comfortable telling you that insofar as my opinion is concerned, there is truly no institution better equipped (intellectually and materially) or better aligned for the study of neuroscience (its cognitive, computative, AND biological facets) than MSSM. :thumbup:

I've seen both institutions and many others with an eye toward this field and am quite comfortable telling you that insofar as my opinion is concerned, there is truly no institution better equipped (intellectually and materially) or better aligned for the study of neuroscience (its cognitive, computative, AND biological facets) than MSSM. :thumbup:

Really, NO institution that is better equipped? I dunno, I interviewed at Duke as well and was really impressed by the work going there, but I haven't heard back from them yet... I'd just like to choose between MSSM and AECOM as quickly as possible to open up the spot for someone on a waitlist.

I think this is quite an overstatement. There is really not much going on in the way of cognitive neuroscience at MSSM, which I know because I am a cognitive neuroscientist MD-PhD who just interviewed there for residency in psychiatry. Sure, they have a couple of magnets and are doing some work with diffusion tensor imaging, but there is really not much in the way of interesting functional imaging work there. Also, I can't think of one paper in Nature or Science that has come out of MSSM neuroscience recently. This is one of the reasons I didn't rank them very highly. I will say that they probably have better neuroscience than Einstein, but that's not saying much. If you want to study neuroscience, look at places like Harvard, UCSF, Columbia, UCLA, Hopkins, Duke, WashU and UCSD.