• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

ThatOne

10+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Any input on comparing the neuro research quality at Albert Einstein and Mount Sinai? There are researchers and ongoing work that I like at both institutions, but I'm having a little trouble deciding between them. Other input about pros and cons at each is welcome if you'd like, but research quality is one of the most important factors for me.

jjmack

15+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2003
LA
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
I liked the research at MSSM more personally. What area of neuroscience are you interested in? I thought the neurogenetics/psychaitric genetics was very interesting at MSSM. Also I really like their loacation, but I'm biased ;-)

ThatOne

10+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm open-ended right now. I've done mostly cellular/morphological stuff. Physiology and genetics are on my list to pick up more of.

The location is pretty sweet, with Central Park right across the street and all.

About the Ads

TheCybermen

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Any input on comparing the neuro research quality at Albert Einstein and Mount Sinai? There are researchers and ongoing work that I like at both institutions, but I'm having a little trouble deciding between them. Other input about pros and cons at each is welcome if you'd like, but research quality is one of the most important factors for me.

I've seen both institutions and many others with an eye toward this field and am quite comfortable telling you that insofar as my opinion is concerned, there is truly no institution better equipped (intellectually and materially) or better aligned for the study of neuroscience (its cognitive, computative, AND biological facets) than MSSM. :thumbup:

ThatOne

10+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I've seen both institutions and many others with an eye toward this field and am quite comfortable telling you that insofar as my opinion is concerned, there is truly no institution better equipped (intellectually and materially) or better aligned for the study of neuroscience (its cognitive, computative, AND biological facets) than MSSM. :thumbup:

Really, NO institution that is better equipped? I dunno, I interviewed at Duke as well and was really impressed by the work going there, but I haven't heard back from them yet... I'd just like to choose between MSSM and AECOM as quickly as possible to open up the spot for someone on a waitlist.

strangeglove

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

I think this is quite an overstatement. There is really not much going on in the way of cognitive neuroscience at MSSM, which I know because I am a cognitive neuroscientist MD-PhD who just interviewed there for residency in psychiatry. Sure, they have a couple of magnets and are doing some work with diffusion tensor imaging, but there is really not much in the way of interesting functional imaging work there. Also, I can't think of one paper in Nature or Science that has come out of MSSM neuroscience recently. This is one of the reasons I didn't rank them very highly. I will say that they probably have better neuroscience than Einstein, but that's not saying much. If you want to study neuroscience, look at places like Harvard, UCSF, Columbia, UCLA, Hopkins, Duke, WashU and UCSD.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.