neuroscience minor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OhioStateUnderG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all,

I am struggling with a decision, and would love some input from others. Currently I can graduate early with lots of extra hours of schooling (thanks to AP and intense quarters). If I do this, I will continue to live in my current city for the spring quarter with some research tasks and minimal work, and figured I would try to improve on certain areas (most notable bilingual skills, GRE verbal, and read a variety of research articles) as well as enjoy my last few months before I begin working (this will begin in June for two years prior to graduate school, hopefully).

That is one possibility. The other is to complete a neuroscience minor. I recently realized that I am quite close to this minor, and would easily (as in hours, not necessarily curriculum) complete it if I were to complete the standard 4 years instead of graduating one quarter early. While financially it will cost a bit extra, I feel that I would have a relatively light load compared to my usual load. So, I guess I am wondering if people think a neuroscience minor would aid to my ability to do a variety of things. Would it be desirable, or add to the strength, of an application for a clinical psych graduate applicant? Would it aid in finding research during my two year stint in the "professional" world? Is it necessary in order to apply to Neuroscience/ Behavioral Neuro graduate programs (as in, could I still apply to these with no minor or major in the area, yet a few classes with exposure?)?

Any input would be great. Anything at all.

The way I see it: Graduate early = relatively stress free months before intense work life, save a bit of $, and focus on verbal skills among other things.

Stay: Receive a neuroscience minor, potentially opening some doors? But can these doors be opened without it? Am I aiding at all with just a minor (which is all that my school currently offers)? Is this a waste of money, as one of the courses (which is necessary, not an elective) will be a lower level than I have already surpassed. Still have time, as the course load will be less than usual. I do have a minimal scholarship, so financially this would not hurt me too badly. I just do not want to waste my time if the minor does not seem necessary. On that note, I should add that I am not viewing the classes as a waste, rather not a necessity to my growth in the field of neuroscience (but in the eyes of universities and future research opportunities, maybe it is a necessity). If I do not complete the minor, I will be diving into a lot of the current literature. But, that is not something that is easily recognized on an application (at least, that is my opinion).

See...confusion...:laugh:

Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

hello all,

I am struggling with a decision, and would love some input from others. Currently I can graduate early with lots of extra hours of schooling (thanks to AP and intense quarters). If I do this, I will continue to live in my current city for the spring quarter with some research tasks and minimal work, and figured I would try to improve on certain areas (most notable bilingual skills, GRE verbal, and read a variety of research articles) as well as enjoy my last few months before I begin working (this will begin in June for two years prior to graduate school, hopefully).

That is one possibility. The other is to complete a neuroscience minor. I recently realized that I am quite close to this minor, and would easily (as in hours, not necessarily curriculum) complete it if I were to complete the standard 4 years instead of graduating one quarter early. While financially it will cost a bit extra, I feel that I would have a relatively light load compared to my usual load. So, I guess I am wondering if people think a neuroscience minor would aid to my ability to do a variety of things. Would it be desirable, or add to the strength, of an application for a clinical psych graduate applicant? Would it aid in finding research during my two year stint in the "professional" world? Is it necessary in order to apply to Neuroscience/ Behavioral Neuro graduate programs (as in, could I still apply to these with no minor or major in the area, yet a few classes with exposure?)?

Any input would be great. Anything at all.

The way I see it: Graduate early = relatively stress free months before intense work life, save a bit of $, and focus on verbal skills among other things.

Stay: Receive a neuroscience minor, potentially opening some doors? But can these doors be opened without it? Am I aiding at all with just a minor (which is all that my school currently offers)? Is this a waste of money, as one of the courses (which is necessary, not an elective) will be a lower level than I have already surpassed. Still have time, as the course load will be less than usual. I do have a minimal scholarship, so financially this would not hurt me too badly. I just do not want to waste my time if the minor does not seem necessary. On that note, I should add that I am not viewing the classes as a waste, rather not a necessity to my growth in the field of neuroscience (but in the eyes of universities and future research opportunities, maybe it is a necessity). If I do not complete the minor, I will be diving into a lot of the current literature. But, that is not something that is easily recognized on an application (at least, that is my opinion).

See...confusion...:laugh:

Thanks all

I would graduate early and forget the minor. It really isn't worth it. Graduate schools will want to see what "hard" science courses you have taken but they won't be that much impressed if you have an extra class which completes a minor.

I'm applying to cognitive neuroscience programs as a psych major and only have had a few "hard" science courses. No professor has told me that this will limit me from admission. I'm not just applying to neuroscience programs in psych departments either. What matters more, it seems, is the research experience and LOR's than courses taken.

I have a psychology minor, as a cognitive science major, and I feel it has help me a lot. I'm currently at a psych clinical lab, and I've been able to bring up the whole "I have a psych minor" thing at interviews (while job searching) and to show I'm more "well-rounded". I think that if someone just looked at my resume or application and saw "cognitive science", they may be turned off since what does that even mean (most people somehow skip the cognitive part and add in a neuro instead)? Also, having the minor helped me because I was dead set on medical school when I graduated. After a year, and changing my career plans several times, having that extra psych minor really did helped me feel like I can expand to other fields instead of just medicine. So likewise, I guess in the future, if you somehow get interested in neuroscience, having that neuro minor can probably make you feel more confident in applying to various neuroscience-related programs.

Plus, the economy is crappy right now, programs are struggling to get funding. Have you tried job searching yet? If you get a job, great, but if not, staying in school for another quarter (while looking for jobs so you'll have one ready) isn't necessarily a bad idea. I wouldn't drop a job just to get the minor though. I got my psych minor really by doing nothing other than taking psych 101. I took so many psych courses as part of my major that the minor kind of fell into place.