Neuroscience PhD Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katatonic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How implausible is it to apply to Neuroscience PhD programs if you haven't actually taken a neuroscience course in undergrad? I know that probably sounds pretty silly to most here, but I've learned about BASIC neuro stuff in a few bio and psych classes, but haven't taken a dedicated course (and won't be able to). I'd like to apply along the West Coast (UW, OHSU, UCSF, UCSD, UCLA, Berkeley) so if that's impossible I'll consider going a 5th year to take more psych/neuro courses.

*I'm talking about PhD-only programs, not MSTP.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have some kind of "hard science" background, such as math, physics, or engineering? If you're a Math major, I think you'll have no problem getting into a neuroscience program, provided you present a computational modeling bent. Some kinds of physicists and engineers can do this, too.

If you're more of the biology/psychology major flavor, though, you're going to have to be able to demonstrate, in some way, that you know some actual neuroscience. I wouldn't think classes are strictly necessary, as there are lots of ways to show knowledge.

More important than any coursework is experience working in a laboratory. And I don't think it's necessary to have any background in neuroscience, if you can demonstrate why you are interested in this area. Exposure to neuroscience as an undergrad is primarily helpful in this regard, but is not some sort of requirement to get into PhD programs. If you have taken some courses in Psychology and Biology (preferably the one that the premeds take, with a lab component), with a little Physiology (again, preferably with a lab component), that should be enough to show that you can hack basic science coursework. If you don't have this at least, then you'd better have a lot of experience working in a lab from which you can get good letters of recommendation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses, I'm a Biochem major with a ton of philosophy classes and one psych class. I've worked in a lab for a year, doing full-time research this summer, and probably research all of next year (senior year). So, hopefully they'll know I'm not screwing around, and they give me a shot when I relate why I'm interested in the field (mostly the basic/chemical side anyway, not really behavioral stuff)

It doesn't really matter. You'll take a basic neuroscience course during the first year. Research experience is the most important thing, and even more important are the kind of skills you'll be bringing to the labs you say you are interested in (since you're a biochem major and want to work in molecular neuroscience, then you're perfectly qualified). PhD applications are sort of like job applications to certain labs. I would strongly recommend communicating with PIs you're interested in working with and telling them you're interested in working with them. If they are positive, they can greatly bring up your chances of getting admitted.

Thanks Jorje, but how do you go about asking a PI about working with them if you're not even in the program yet, wouldn't that seem odd to them? Or do you contact them and simply express your interest in their research and whether someone with your skills/background would be qualified to work in their lab?

Thanks Jorje, but how do you go about asking a PI about working with them if you're not even in the program yet, wouldn't that seem odd to them? Or do you contact them and simply express your interest in their research and whether someone with your skills/background would be qualified to work in their lab?

Yes. You basically contact them and tell them that you're very interested in being part of the lab as a grad student, and ask them if they can have a place for you if you're admitted. Of course you send your CV and relevant experience..etc. You do that for one or two labs at each school you're interested in. It's not odd, because basically the PI will fund you for at least 3 years of the program. I think it's especially important for the UC system, cause they are kinda struggling money-wise, so you'll most likely be supported directly by your PI for most of your stay. It was actually quite shocking for me to see the difference between MD/PhD and PhD applications. I was rejected at UC Davis for the neuro program, and the reason specified was "not enough professors" (on their application website). I emailed the director to ask her about more specific reasons, and her answer was that I had very strong credentials, but no PI spoke up for me because I wasn't in contact with any of them. My situation was more complicated because I'm also international, but the gist of it is that showing strong interest in one or two labs, and finding someone who will actively try to get you in so you can work for them will greatly increase your chances.

Wow, thanks for the tip because I had no idea about that. Now the problem is only picking a few who have interesting research haha.

you're fine.

I was a biochemistry major as well. And I did mine in Neuroscience.

Good luck

As the others have said, it doesn't really matter too much about your educational deficits. Typically you'll take the core courses your first year in order to prepare for the soul-crunching experience known as quals.

Motivation and lab skills are more of a factor in which lab you want to join and ultimately where your PhD will go.

don't forget about WSU. they have a great neuro program there. I worked in a lab there for a year and most of the phd students didn't come from a neuro background, but mostly biochem.

don't forget about WSU. they have a great neuro program there. I worked in a lab there for a year and most of the phd students didn't come from a neuro background, but mostly biochem.

WSU = Washington State University? In Pullman?

And thanks for the advice everyone, I'm feeling better about considering applying that route now.

Echoing everyone else, I can say for sure that it's very definitely possible! I'm currently a PhD student in Neuroscience and I didn't take a single neuro course as an undergrad. (My major was Microbiology.) The only vaguely neuroscience-y course I took was a "Biopsych" course that introduced me to the terminology and very general principles of the field, which you can honestly get from reading any general neuro text.

So go for it!

Thanks! I'm taking Neurophysiology (a upper-div bio course) and Cognition (upper-div Psych course) to get a bit under my belt to have more to talk about during interviews about why I think I'd like to study neuroscience.

Good advice in here. Don't forget to make Pubmed (publications) and CRISP (funding) your friend.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/

http://crisp.cit.nih.gov/crisp/crisp_query.generate_screen

When I was in UG thinking about going to grad school, I was told to go to schools where I'm into the research being done there. I really wish I had focused on that more. I got into a Neuro program, but yea...So, yeah, market yourself and find labs where you fit and can grow.