Neuroscience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PamperedLady

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I wanted to ask everyone what they thought about this.... I initially(when going back to school) was going to have an equine studies miner along with my AVS degree. I figured a lot of people do that so I started to think outside of the box in the aspect of minors... I have a HUGE intrest in the way the human brain works and the animal brain works so I'm thinking about minoring in Neuroscience.

Comments?

Members don't see this ad.

My minor (in history) wasn't even brought up in the interview and I'm not sure it was even on the application. So do a minor in what you find interesting and/or fun! :) You may get a cool research project out of it if you do a bit of schmoozing with the faculty. We haven't had a formal neurology in vet school yet, just some stuff in anatomy and physiology, and I can tell it's going to be pretty rough. Good to get it while you can! :thumbup:

You're pretty lucky if you have a neuroscience major only, as I know some folks who got some bad advice and liked neuro stuff, so they became psych majors. Well, psych majors are a dime a dozen and they really probably should have been biology majors or bio/psych double majors instead as that's where most of the hardcore neuro research was being done.

I would do neuroscience if you had a definite interest in neuro...would be fun, rewarding, and great prep for vet school. (Primates have some differences neurologically from the domestic mammals, as you would probably expect, but I find that thinking about neuro is really thinking in kind of a unique way--if you have an interest, best to get started doing that now. :) )

From your post it certainly doesn't sound like this is the case, but if you'd only be considering it because of how it looks for vet school, then choose something that really rocks your socks. I double-majored in biology and philosophy and am soooo glad I did. :)