neurosurgery at a more competitive program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tobin01

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in going in neurosurgery. I was wondering if anyone can give me input on my chances of getting into one of the more competitive programs in NS. I go to a med school (Wayne State Univ. in Detroit) that is not ranked in U.S. News's list. When I look at the resident profiles of the more competitive NS programs it seems they all come from top ranked schools like Harvard and Johns Hopkins. Therefore I wanted to assess where I stand in getting into one of those programs.

I am a 3rd year med student. I scored a 254/99 on Step 1, honored year I & II, honored my clerkships so far except for one, and have done research and published in neuroimaging.

Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody can tell you what your chances are. If there is a particular program(s) you are dead set on, be sure to do an away rotation there. Get some good letters and apply. That's the only way you'll know. Your medical school won't rule you out, but there is definitely a lot of nepotism. The field is small and some programs often take their own. The medical schools you mentioned tend to send a lot of graduates into neurosurgery. Ask the current Wayne State 4th years what they think...there are several going into neurosurgery.

tobin01 said:
I am interested in going in neurosurgery. I was wondering if anyone can give me input on my chances of getting into one of the more competitive programs in NS. I go to a med school (Wayne State Univ. in Detroit) that is not ranked in U.S. News's list. When I look at the resident profiles of the more competitive NS programs it seems they all come from top ranked schools like Harvard and Johns Hopkins. Therefore I wanted to assess where I stand in getting into one of those programs.

I am a 3rd year med student. I scored a 254/99 on Step 1, honored year I & II, honored my clerkships so far except for one, and have done research and published in neuroimaging.

Any input would be appreciated.

Don't worry about what med school you're at. Do the best you can with where you're at. Best way to assess the programs is apply for a couple away rotations. They appreciate you coming to their program and you get a good candid look at them. Shoot for programs you are interested in, work hard and have fun on your aways, and your experiences will serve as points of conversation during your interviews. Your scores are solid and you'll get interviews. :sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
there's a wayne state alum doing neurosurgery at wash u in st. louis

I know that this is a bit of an outdated post but there were 3 neurosurgery residencies from Wayne this year. One to Utah, one to Northwestern and one to the DMC/Wayne. That’s pretty damn good.