Neurosurgery for an FMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OtoBahn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would like to keep it realistic. Switch to a medical field.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you stand a chance. You should have some clinical experience in the states before you apply as you'll need letters of recommendation. Do well above average on the USMLEs.

Ahoy there! . I am also from India and aiming for NSG or GS ,possibly in 2008. I a m going for MPH in epidemiology in fall 2007 [possibly at a reputed university].Will try to enroll in some research and also get some LoRs if possible. Giving my MLEs right now. Let's see. I want to keep my goals realisitic, so I am going to wait for my step 1 scores before contemplating seriously about NSG. Let's see.You seem to be pretty good candidate considering Oxford background and the scholarship.Best of luck! Nice to see that I am not the only one aiming the summit from the abyss!

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay...thanks for your input there...um...Death...

i have a few questions, would be grateful if anyone could answer any of them:

1. what kind of USMLE step1 and step 2CK score should i be aiming for as an FMG?

2. how do you get clinical experience in the states (without actually obtaining a residency)? what kind of clinical experience is required?

To stand a fair chance of getting a neurosurgical placement, foreign medical graduations need to score more than 235 on USMLE step 1

You can apply for a preliminary fellowship. This gives you some clinical experience without tying you down to a specific residency. You can do surgical rotations in almost everything: ortho, urology, general,etc

You can apply and get into a preliminary surgery residency program. While this might not give you a lot of exposure to neurosurgery you can at least have some US clinical experience for which US physicians can write you letters of recommendation. The other option is a pre-residency fellowship in neurosurgery. There are a few departments in the country that actively advertise for these (check out U of California Irvine, U of Iowa, and U of Colorado) and others will take a pre-residency fellow but may not necessarily advertise so you have to ask around. It looks like San Francisco Mach website posts pre-residency fellowship positions now. Here is the link)

Whats the difference between a pre residency fellowship and a preliminary spot?

Whats the difference between a pre residency fellowship and a preliminary spot?

Pre residency fellowship is for neurosurgery only whereas a preliminary spot doesn't focus on a single speciality.

its hard but its done. an old class mate of trained at gtown and is now a fellow at MD anderson.
Hello

I am a new member and am keen to have some advice on applying to a neurosurgery match in 2009. I am a medical graduate from India, having won a Rhodes scholarship, am working on cochlear implants at Oxford University. Do I stand a chance in the light of several individuals suggesting that Neurosurgery is almost impossible for an FMG to match?

i have a few questions, would be grateful if anyone could answer any of them:

1. what kind of USMLE step1 and step 2CK score should i be aiming for as an FMG?

2. how do you get clinical experience in the states (without actually obtaining a residency)? what kind of clinical experience is required?

for a FMG:
dont knwo about the experience part but for a NSG residency definitely you'll need double if not triple 99's (around 250's and above) (step 1,2,3) to remain competitive. and quite a bit more on your CV besides that.

its far from impossible so keep your head down buddy and you'll be fine.

How can one do a preliminary surgery/ pre residency fellowship and still apply to neurosurgery?
most prelim spots are J1 while mx duration of J1 is seven years..It doesnt leave you with time to complete a residency...
anyone to comment