Neurosurgery Match 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mortal_Lessons

H.Perowne
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to all who matched this cycle! I feel fortunate to count myself among those who matched this year despite what felt like a higher than usual number of applicants. Best of luck to those of you hoping for a neurosurgical match in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to all who matched this cycle! I feel fortunate to count myself among those who matched this year despite what felt like a higher than usual number of applicants. Best of luck to those of you hoping for a neurosurgical match in the future.

Congrats to you too. I felt the same way re: number of applicants. Where you headed?

Having never gone through the process before, how can you have a feel of how many applicants previous years have had? Did you also get the feel that there are more positions this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Having never gone through the process before, how can you have a feel of how many applicants previous years have had? Did you also get the feel that there are more positions this year?

Yeah, that's a great question. When you have several program directors telling you this is the biggest cycle in years, I tend to believe them. Not too sure about there being that many more positions this year.

And is it just me, or are there a lot more foreign grads matching this year than in previous years?

I don't have the tables in front of me now, but I believe the numbers went like this:

196 spots, 310 applicants, 194 spots filled, 170 by allopathic US seniors. I'm assuming the other 24 were by foreign grads or current residents re-entering the match?

Interesting stats...Does anybody know how many PGY-2 spots were available and the number of applicants for those spots? I guess that will give me a clearer picture of the number of actual unfilled spots. I understand there will be no charting outcomes this year since it is usually done every 2 years so we'll need insiders to give us as much info as possible concerning the breakdown of the stats

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
Interesting stats...Does anybody know how many PGY-2 spots were available and the number of applicants for those spots? I guess that will give me a clearer picture of the number of actual unfilled spots. I understand there will be no charting outcomes this year since it is usually done every 2 years so we'll need insiders to give us as much info as possible concerning the breakdown of the stats

PGY2 spots? I'm not sure you understand how neurosurgery residency works. The entire residency from PGY1-7 is under neurosurgery control, so there are only PGY1 spots to match into. The above list is accurate. I believe the stats from last year are largely applicable to this year as well.

I don't have the tables in front of me now, but I believe the numbers went like this:

196 spots, 310 applicants, 194 spots filled, 170 by allopathic US seniors. I'm assuming the other 24 were by foreign grads or current residents re-entering the match?

Out of the 310 applicants, any idea on how many were allopathic seniors or what percentage of allopathic seniors matched?

Good to know uncleharvey is back!!!

Not really, that site has been rather desolate lately. Very little activity in the forums; quite disappointing. It was a great resource for me.