-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
- Home
- Forums
- Physician and Resident Communities (MD / DO)
- Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties
- Neurosurgery
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Neurosurgery Match 2012
Started by Mortal_Lessons
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Congrats to all who matched this cycle! I feel fortunate to count myself among those who matched this year despite what felt like a higher than usual number of applicants. Best of luck to those of you hoping for a neurosurgical match in the future.
Congrats to you too. I felt the same way re: number of applicants. Where you headed?
Congrats to all who matched this cycle! I feel fortunate to count myself among those who matched this year despite what felt like a higher than usual number of applicants. Best of luck to those of you hoping for a neurosurgical match in the future.
Having never gone through the process before, how can you have a feel of how many applicants previous years have had? Did you also get the feel that there are more positions this year?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to you too. I felt the same way re: number of applicants. Where you headed?
Thanks! Sending you a PM.
Having never gone through the process before, how can you have a feel of how many applicants previous years have had? Did you also get the feel that there are more positions this year?
Yeah, that's a great question. When you have several program directors telling you this is the biggest cycle in years, I tend to believe them. Not too sure about there being that many more positions this year.
Interesting stats...Does anybody know how many PGY-2 spots were available and the number of applicants for those spots? I guess that will give me a clearer picture of the number of actual unfilled spots. I understand there will be no charting outcomes this year since it is usually done every 2 years so we'll need insiders to give us as much info as possible concerning the breakdown of the stats
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
PGY2 spots? I'm not sure you understand how neurosurgery residency works. The entire residency from PGY1-7 is under neurosurgery control, so there are only PGY1 spots to match into. The above list is accurate. I believe the stats from last year are largely applicable to this year as well.
Interesting stats...Does anybody know how many PGY-2 spots were available and the number of applicants for those spots? I guess that will give me a clearer picture of the number of actual unfilled spots. I understand there will be no charting outcomes this year since it is usually done every 2 years so we'll need insiders to give us as much info as possible concerning the breakdown of the stats
PGY2 spots? I'm not sure you understand how neurosurgery residency works. The entire residency from PGY1-7 is under neurosurgery control, so there are only PGY1 spots to match into. The above list is accurate. I believe the stats from last year are largely applicable to this year as well.
I don't have the tables in front of me now, but I believe the numbers went like this:
196 spots, 310 applicants, 194 spots filled, 170 by allopathic US seniors. I'm assuming the other 24 were by foreign grads or current residents re-entering the match?
Out of the 310 applicants, any idea on how many were allopathic seniors or what percentage of allopathic seniors matched?
Out of the 310 applicants, any idea on how many were allopathic seniors or what percentage of allopathic seniors matched?
http://uncleharvey.com/index.php/wiki/2012_Match_List_for_Neurological_Surgery/
Not exactly what you ask for, but you can comb the list to see the different schools.
Good to know uncleharvey is back!!!
Not really, that site has been rather desolate lately. Very little activity in the forums; quite disappointing. It was a great resource for me.