Neurosurgery Odds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hi

I am a Rhodes Scholar from Pakistan, currently doing MSc in Neuroscience at Oxford ( potentially I can go for a second masters or a PhD ) and am interested in Neurosurgery residency in US. I have my USMLE step 1 and 2 scores 255 and 261 respectively, but no US clinical exp / LORS. Visa status: Non US national/ non resident.

Keeping in view these, do I stand any good chance for NS match? And how will a second masters, a PhD or a pre residency fellowship may effect the odds ? I have heard that even after the presidency fellowship most FMG are not successfull in getting it.

Any suggestions ....

Cheers


...................
 
Last edited:
Hi

I am a Rhodes Scholar from Pakistan, currently doing MSc in Neuroscience at Oxford ( potentially I can go for a second masters or a PhD ) and am interested in Neurosurgery residency in US. I have my USMLE step 1 and 2 scores 255 and 261 respectively, but no US clinical exp / LORS. Visa status: Non US national/ non resident.

Keeping in view these, do I stand any good chance for NS match? And how will a second masters, a PhD or a pre residency fellowship may effect the odds ? I have heard that even after the presidency fellowship most FMG are not successfull in getting it.

Any suggestions ....

Cheers

The guy above is trying to trim down his competition. 🙂

I personally know a junior resident at a program that is consistently named as top 5 -top 10 ns residency program who came from a very similar background. He had to do a couple years of research and general surgery at a prestigious east coast institution, but it obviously worked out for him in the end.

Best of luck to you.