neurosurgery research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giguerex35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all. Im a first year DO student soon to be a second year and I have been doing well academically 3.9x GPA so i am looking to get more into research. I am very interested in neurosurgery as a possible residency and as i am sure everyone knows research, especially neurosurgery research is a key part of applying. My issue is I have having a hard time finding research in the field of neurosurgery and wanted to know if anyone could answer any of these questions
1. I have looked for Nsurg research and there is not much anywhere near where I go to school, any ideas how to find related research in a rural area
2. does research have to be explicitly Nsurg research or can it be any research. I would assume Nsurg research is better but would just neuro research suffice, or perhaps any research i can find if that does not work out
3. what are the views on doing systematic reviews of Nsurg research that has already been published as a way to participate in research without actually doing the original researching if that makes sense
4. I will be shadowing/working with a neurosurgeon this summer for brief period, is there anything i can do associated with this opportunity in regards to research

thanks again for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1. You can contact a larger program and often do much of the work, remotely
2. Any research is good, neurosurgery research is better
3. This is fine, though most review articles tend to be invited and written by someone with tenure in the field
4. If you see an interesting case or technique, write it up.

Reactions: 2 users
1. You can contact a larger program and often do much of the work, remotely
2. Any research is good, neurosurgery research is better
3. This is fine, though most review articles tend to be invited and written by someone with tenure in the field
4. If you see an interesting case or technique, write it up.
appreciate it

Copied and pasted from a prior answer, although research is NSG can be often done remotely. Its also still possible to match, see PCOM and NJMS.
Tough scenario cause NSG is biased against DO's. However, if you work super duper hard and the stars align, its still possible.
Idk anything about #3
If the neurosurgeon is in academics, then look up their Scopus or Google Scholar to see how productive they are and if they are, ask for a project. Otherwise just email other neurosurgery doctors at academic institutions near you that publish a lot and ask for remote research.