Neurosurgery Residency Length Clarification

Discussion in 'Neurosurgery' started by jws32, 05.16.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. jws32

jws32 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know most neurosurgery residencies are 7-8 years (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/neurosurgery-programs-increase-in-length.988261/), but I still see people saying "most neurosurgery residencies" and they are typically "6-8 years in length."

After looking through every program on Freida Online there were 10 programs (Mayo Jax, Cinci, New Mexico, UCSF, UNC, etc.) that listed 6 years as the "accredited and required length of training." Is this only because the programs don't officially include the PGY-1 into the program, and they view it as the PGY-1 plus 6 year neurosurgery residency? After looking at the actual websites of the programs, I realized all of them still had a total of 7 years of training.

After searching on SDN and Uncle Harvey (which doesn't work) I can't find any concrete answers. To boil it all down--is there such a thing as a true 6 year neurosurgery residency program anymore? Should/can we stop saying "most" when talking about the length of residencies if they are all at least 7 years of training (PGY-1 to PGY-7)?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. jws32

jws32 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So if I'm reading correctly some programs with 6 years of total training are...

Duke
    Albany
    Wake Forest

(Please add to and/or correct the list if I'm misunderstood)

4. jws32

jws32 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
  5. N1D

N1D 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    all are now 7 years after the ACGME changed policy. Some of the websites for the individual programs have not updated their curriculum, so may show that they are a 6 year program.

6. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels Gold Donor SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    SDN
    Author
    All programs are seven, a couple try to do it in six (meaning your chief as a six) and leave you that last year open to do other stuff like in folded fellowships (Duke comes to mind), but most do not.

About the ads