Neurosurgery Residency Length Clarification

Started by jws32
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jws32

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know most neurosurgery residencies are 7-8 years (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/neurosurgery-programs-increase-in-length.988261/), but I still see people saying "most neurosurgery residencies" and they are typically "6-8 years in length."

After looking through every program on Freida Online there were 10 programs (Mayo Jax, Cinci, New Mexico, UCSF, UNC, etc.) that listed 6 years as the "accredited and required length of training." Is this only because the programs don't officially include the PGY-1 into the program, and they view it as the PGY-1 plus 6 year neurosurgery residency? After looking at the actual websites of the programs, I realized all of them still had a total of 7 years of training.

After searching on SDN and Uncle Harvey (which doesn't work) I can't find any concrete answers. To boil it all down--is there such a thing as a true 6 year neurosurgery residency program anymore? Should/can we stop saying "most" when talking about the length of residencies if they are all at least 7 years of training (PGY-1 to PGY-7)?
 
So if I'm reading correctly some programs with 6 years of total training are...

Duke
Albany
Wake Forest

(Please add to and/or correct the list if I'm misunderstood)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
all are now 7 years after the ACGME changed policy. Some of the websites for the individual programs have not updated their curriculum, so may show that they are a 6 year program.