Neurosurgery Step 1 average going up - realistic option?

Started by CyberMaxx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CyberMaxx

Doing math in pen
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just finished up my M2 year (currently taking a year off for research) and am considering neurosurgery and vascular surgery (if I did neuro I think I would want to do neurovascualar). Based on the 2014 Charting of the Match I was competitive for both but after the most recent report came out yesterday it seems that both have jumped in competitiveness. The average Step 1 score for neurosurgery went from a 244 to a 249, and the percent matched in vascular went from 89 to 73%. Based on this changing landscape, what do you guys think my chances are for neurosurgery and do you think I need to decide now between neuro and vascular and put all of my eggs in one basket?

For context:
class rank: top 1/3-1/4 (state school)
step 1: 244
research:
a. currently taking a year off between M2 and M3 to get a M.S. in Bioengineering, working on research modeling vasculature
b. several years of basic science cardiac research
publications:
a. 2 basic science publications in cardiac research (1 first author)
b. 1 publication on healthcare history (still indexed in pubmed)

Thanks so much for your help!
 
Gonna bump this once just in case. Any advice on whether I would be competitive or not?