Neurosurgery vs. Neuro ICU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NWwildcat2013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is a world of difference between both the workload and type of patients between Neurology and Neurosurgery.
It might not necessarily be true for everyone but I felt that the desire to physically intervene (surgery) would be a major determinant as to whether to pick Neurology or Neurosurgery. And of course the lifestyle.

In Neurology you would expect occasional bursts of busy, and spend half the time in training whereas in Neurosurgery you would expect to never go home.

Reactions: 1 user
There is a world of difference between both the workload and type of patients between Neurology and Neurosurgery.
It might not necessarily be true for everyone but I felt that the desire to physically intervene (surgery) would be a major determinant as to whether to pick Neurology or Neurosurgery. And of course the lifestyle.

In Neurology you would expect occasional bursts of busy, and spend half the time in training whereas in Neurosurgery you would expect to never go home.
Well I do like critically ill patients, so I am thinking about possibly going down the neuro ICU path which can be intense. The attendings at my institution do 7 on 7 off and the 7 on is basically 24/7 call for that week. They just live at the hospital basically. My point is that its not like Im intending to do outpatient headache medicine or sleep medicine with neuro and comparing that with neurosurgery.

do you want to treat those diseases medically or surgically? Sounds like medically is a better fit if you havent resonated with surgery. You wouldnt necessarily have to take a year off to apply into neurosurgery however. No research hurts but isnt a be all end all. Neurosurgery attendings also frequently do 7 on and 7 off but the difference is they are also operating 10 to 12 hours a day as well. If you dont really love surgery its probably not worth it but I strongly encourage you to go shadow

Reactions: 1 users