Neurosurgery vs Ortho w/spine fellwoship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobcat

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kinds of qualities differentiate the average NS resident from an ortho resident? What is the difference between an ortho with specialization in spine vs a neurosurgeon (who does mostly spine stuff anyway). Also is ortho more competitive than NS? Any insight would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Neuro or ortho for spine surgery, that is the question...?? From what I gather, in general, spine cases involving tumor of the spinal cord are done better done by neurosurgeons; other cases are better done by ortho. However, I think any ortho or neuro who has done a fellowship and specializes in spine would be equally qualified. This of course is debated. Programs have different methods of solving the question of 'who should do the spine cases?' Some alternate between departments, some go on a case-dependent basis, some even offer the residents short rotations in the other specialty.

The choice would be regarding your passion. Both ortho and neuro people are very passionate about their own separate fields of work. Other than spine, the rest of the everyday cases are completely different!! Ortho is very crafty and big-tool oriented.--Lots of physical labor and the patients usually live. Neuro is for those who absolutely love the brain, do more delicate work, and can handle the reality that most of the patients will not have the happiest outcome, (they certainly won't be inviting you to their future football games).

If you are truly interested in being a good spine surgeron, I would decide your residency based on the other cases that you would be doing for the rest of your life. Also, see which resident personality-type you are more like. Either residency would make you a good spine surgeon, but when you're on call would you rather operate on comatose patients or car/sports accidents?

Jova

i don't know about you, but there is a HUGE difference in the personality department between neurosurg and ortho. if you are a bitter person with a general dislike for the world, then neurosurg is for you. however, if you like to be around people that have fun and play with big tools, then ortho is a better fit.

both are pretty competitve. seems like right now, ortho is a tad more competitive, but that point is arguable as it changes year to year.