neurotrophic keratitis and topical anesthetic abuse; why?

Started by Ligament
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hoping the experts can educate me. I'm a pain physician.

Had an RN present with s/p neurotrophic keratitis with severe photophobia, referred for potential blocks.

Read that neurotrophic keratitis can be caused by ocular topical anesthetic abuse in medical professionals.

Why would anybody abuse topical anesthetics via the eye? What is the reason?
 
Yeah if anyone has a foreign body sensation, or chronic dry eyes, or just plain old irritation, that numbing drop may burn at first but it then takes it all away and makes the eye feel so much better. But, do it over and over again, and the cornea gets very angry and starts developing defects that can lead to big bug problems…..as it sounds like you are aware
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've seen a few patients that walked out of the ED with a bottle of tetracaine (either stolen or given to the patient by the RN or doc). I guess it's in the EM literature that tetracaine is safe for 'short term' use. I just don't think we know how much tetracaine it takes to lead to corneal ulceration, so I believe most ophthalmologists do not recommend its use outside of the clinic/OR.