Neurovascular Diseases Undergrad Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Youngm2194

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking a class this semester titled biology of neurovascular diseases, but the grading scheme in my opinion is terrible. I have 2 midterms and a final, each 1/3 of my grade. The information is dense, but manageable. I took the first test this week and they're online with 12 multiple choice questions (60pts) and 7 short answer (40pts). With each multiple choice being 5pts each, it equates to 1.5pts on my final semester grade. Has anybody had a class like this where getting only 2-3 questions wrong on each test would make me already be in the B range? I don't think this is fair. I accidentally switched an answer and my semester grade goes down by 1.5, this grading just doesn't make sense to me

Members don't see this ad.

I accidentally switched an answer and my semester grade goes down by 1.5

So, check your work and be confident in yourself so you do not switch your answer?

The MCAT is currently only 144 questions and determines the fate of hundreds of thousands of individuals per year. If you go into medicine you will be taking exams where you have limited questions and just one chance to do it right. You need to learn to perform when under pressure, you have many more exams in your future if your heart is in medicine, and this grading schema looks fine.

This grading system is like every large class I've ever had in undergrad. The prof's like "Ain't nobody got time for grading" and just gives us 3 exams and a final because his TAs can grade them versus grading 200< in class assignments, essays, whatever.
It's just easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol that was the norm for the majority of my undergrad classes. It's the norm for med school classes too. We only have 1 exam per course for the most part.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol that was the norm for the majority of my undergrad classes. It's the norm for med school classes too. We only have 1 exam per course for the most part.
Yup, exactly. Get used to having very few exams determining your entire grade for the block. This isn't high school.