Neutrophil and Monocyte clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ikulu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just going through the feralis notes, and noticed that it says that both neutrophils and monocytes both turn into macrophage. However, I looked up on wiki, and it turns out that only the monocyte turns to macrophage, whereas the neutrophils become phagocytes.

Here is a diagram just to help clarify it.
I hope this will help someone eventually.

Here is the link to the image:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hematopoiesis_simple.svg

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
you're correct, only monocytes turn into macrophages
neutrophil IS a type of phagocyte

Thanks for sharing, are there other mistakes that people may know of in feralis?

I believe another mistake was answered in a previous thread..."Are karyotypes made in Metaphase I or Metaphase." In Ferali's I think it says Metaphase I, but it is actually Metaphase of mitosis...for example Down Syndrome (trisomy 21) is the nondisjunction of an autosome. I'm not sure of any others though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neutrophil are the most abundant macrophage. Monocytes become macrophages. They are the largest even if not the most prevalent. They are called monocytes when circulating in blood and grow into macrophages when they go into tissue.

Thanks for the catch! There's a reference to it on pg 198 in Cliffs AP (3rd edition) too for a cross reference.