never ending debate-August MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macpappy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is the age old question, but I have never asked it, so here it is. Does taking the MCAT in August for the first time greatly reduce the chances of getting accepted. I am going to apply to TUCOM,COMP,AZCOM,KCOM,DMU/COMS AND UNE. Would it just be a big waste of money or should I just wait till June 2005 to apply to the 2006 class. Any personal experiences are welcome. DO's rock!! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, here's my experience....I've applied to medical school on two different occasions. Both times, I took the MCAT for the first time in August. Both times I got at least 1 acceptance. The key is to get everything else in early. The MCAT scores will be in by October and your application will be sitting pretty for the second (or third) wave of interviews.

IMO, it's more important to do well than to worry about when you take it. I signed up for the April MCAT when I decided to apply for the 2004 entering class. I wasn't ready and ended up requesting a refund. By August, I was much better prepared and ended up getting a good score. (First time around, it was just a late decision to apply and I had missed the deadline for April).

If the rest of your app is pretty solid and you can get all your transcripts and applications in before you take the test, then I would think you'd still be in good shape to get in for next fall!

Good luck.

Willow

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Willow, make sure your application is complete other than your MCAT. You will have a late application, but that should be ok, I have a classmate that didn't apply to med school until February and got in. He would have gotten multiple acceptances with his stats if he'd applied earlier, though. You will be ok, and even if you don't get in on this round, your MCAT scores are usually good for up to 3 years. Good luck.

I too agree with Willow. I had everthing in, including LOR, so the school's were only looking for the MCAT. I got three acceptances, and two wait lists.

I took my mcats at august/03 and submitted my aacomas september, my application wasn't complete util sometime in November. I ended up getting into everywhere I submitted a secondary to. So I don't think its a big deal if your application or mcat is in late. If the school wants you, they want you!

DNA-RL said:
I took my mcats at august/03 and submitted my aacomas september, my application wasn't complete util sometime in November. I ended up getting into everywhere I submitted a secondary to. So I don't think its a big deal if your application or mcat is in late. If the school wants you, they want you!

I had the exact same experience, just one year prior.

I took the August 2003 MCAT and I was definitely apprehensive about taking the MCAT during the summer because of all the rumors that were going around. However, just like everyone else, I got into every school that I interviewed at and I got interviews at all the schools I applied to. My advice is just to make sure you send out your AACOMAS as early as you can so that even though you took the later MCAT, your stuff will still be way ahead of the deadline and you won't have to worry about it...that is what I did and I was really happy with my decision. Good luck and don't listen to any rumors...take it in August! :luck:

Take the August one and don't worry about it. I think the April MCAT is the best because you get your scores before you apply AND you can retake in August if you did poorly.

With the August test, that's it, that is the score you will apply with, you can't take it again in the same application process and have that score count and it does put your application behind.

So is it best to take April, yes, does it kill your chances if you take it in August, no.